Ford Taraus trans. oil change ? HELP - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

I just did my Ford, didn't drop the pan (as that only gets about 1/3 of it). I used the pump out method. Basically disconnect the quick connect line return line from the radiator (at least that is where mine was - just find a convenient place). Attach a bit of clear tubing to it and run that to the catch container. Start the engine, pump out 2-4 quarts (when you see air bubbles stop). Put the same amount of new fluid back in through the dip stick tube. Repeat process 3-4 times until you see new fluid being pumped out. If you always put in what you take out, you'll be pretty close to the right level. Reconnect the line where you tapped into it, check the levels and top off as necessary. All done, little mess. Ive seen a couple of posts about this method elsewhere. Google it for more detailed directions if you need/want to pursue this route.

jeffreymccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
ELF
Registered Member

Get a oil pump or oil extractor, so you can just pump it out dip stick hole. Thats what I did on my sable. which has the same tranny. You can get about 4 quarts out at a time this way, replace with mobil 1 or scamzoil synthetic. Those trannys are hard on oil they get too hot and cook it. the syn will hold up much better.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #13
Registered Member

Your model year Taurus should have a drain plug. The Taurus tranny get extremely hot so do not get it to running temperature before you change it or else it will scold you. I used Mobile 1 in my 1992 Taurus and it ran better than before, except that after that I burned up the clutch.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

If you don't have a drain plug you will have to drop the pan so have a big pan to catch the mess. If there is a flat spot on the pan you can purchase an aftermarket drain plug from one of the performance outfits. You will be happy you did next time you go to change the oil. Be sure to use a torque wrench on your pan bolts on reinstallation, it will greatly reduce your chance of having a leak.