Old 05-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Most Efficient Auto Car

1. UfoTofU -
2. repete86 -
3. lindermant -
4. OdieTurbo -
5. zpilito -

:EDIT: current scoreboard, I will try to keep an Eye on this, but I'm rather busy lately with graduation, So feel free to PM me, if your number 5, or for any other reasons.

I was wondering who has the most fuel efficient Automatic Transmission car on this forum? I thought we could have our own fun little competition.

Just taking the numbers from the Fuel Competition, Zpilito seems to have the most gas friendly A/T car! at 42.44.

Anyone got anything higher than this?

::EDIT 2:: I shoudl have clarified this, the scoreboard is for Gasoline powered only vehicles, electric propulsion assistance is not included.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit View Post
I was wondering who has the most fuel efficient Automatic Transmission car on this forum? I thought we could have our own fun little competition.

Just taking the numbers from the Fuel Competition, Zpilito seems to have the most gas friendly A/T car! at 42.44.

Anyone got anything higher than this?
Percentage EPA wise Repete86 and his Accord put me to shame then there's omgwtfbyobbq in the Camry.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
Supporting Member

odieturbo is running an unmolested saturn around 40mpg. I'm not sure what his driving style is or if he's modded it yet.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
odieturbo is running an unmolested saturn around 40mpg. I'm not sure what his driving style is or if he's modded it yet.
Thanks lovemysan, so far I've only pumped the air in the tires up to 45 PSI. As to driving style, keeping it at or under the speed limit (at 65 MPH on the highway, I'm the slowest guy there!) Easy on the throttle, no more than 2500 RPM max.

I've got some mods in mind, I was waiting to get in the FE competition (I'm now in it), and saving up some $$$.

See "The_Last_SL1" for a list of mods I plan on.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post
Thanks lovemysan, so far I've only pumped the air in the tires up to 45 PSI. As to driving style, keeping it at or under the speed limit (at 65 MPH on the highway, I'm the slowest guy there!) Easy on the throttle, no more than 2500 RPM max.

I've got some mods in mind, I was waiting to get in the FE competition (I'm now in it), and saving up some $$$.

See "The_Last_SL1" for a list of mods I plan on.
I just checked your gaslog. Nice and consistant. You must be pretty careful to lock the convertor up. Diamondlarry was saying there's a trick way to lock the convertor in 2nd gear. You might pm'him about it.

It takes about 10min and 300 clicks to fill an SL tank.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

My Camry doesn't count, the EPA highway is wayyyy off compared to cruising with the tcc locked, and I have pretty nice driving conditions. I'd love a Saturn, w/ being able to coast four down. Given engine-off coasting opportunities, I'd be able to go from ~35mpg to ~40mpg. Course, that's nowhere near the 50-60+mpg I'd expect from a manual transmission w/ the right OD gearing, but it's still nice. I wonder if bump starting Saturns is easier on the engine w/ autos compared to manuals, with the fluid coupling and all?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

I don't think that AT cars can be bump started. They tend to go into neutral if the engine isn't spinning. Maybe I missed something.

Anyway, since it seems that most people buy AT cars, I hope that the manufacturers can make them a lot more efficient, and quickly.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
ELF
Registered Member

We used to bump start auto's back in the old days. when we had sub zero temps a lot of cars would not start due to weaker batteries and starters that needed more power than current ones. we used a tow rope or chain and had to get going about 40mph before the engine would start spinning.
I would think that would be pretty hard on the tranny though.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

I was thinking it'd be easier on the engine than bump starting a manual, since the fluid coupling has more give than a direct mechanical connection, and the transmission would naturally drop into whatever gear, but i dunno crap about autos, so that's all speculation.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

So far, according to the Scangauge, the best I've gotten in my recently acquired '99 Metro with an auto tranny is 45.6 MPG. That was average over a 25 mile trip, at night (but the thing has daytime running lights so I can't see headlights making much difference), and in the rain. Maybe the humidity helped?

Been managing 40 MPG nearly every trip.

bzipitidoo is offline   Reply With Quote