Need some advice. D15b8 with HF intake manifold? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Need some advice. D15b8 with HF intake manifold?

So i got hosed when i purchased my 1992 CX. A week later I find out that my motor is leaking oil at the head, blowing smoke, and rough idle from 1k-2k. I also find out that the car I recently purchased has a hodge-podge of a motor set up. At least to what I can tell by the castings on the parts and google. BTW im new to honda motors in general.

-D15B8 Block
-D16Y7 Head (auto-don't know if that makes a difference)
-CRX HF Intake Manifold (P06 HF-3 -any confirmation that this is so?)
-V-Tec valve cover (lol )
-P05 ECU

So everything tells me to just swap the motor and call it a day. But I can get a D15B7 Head for next to nothing (<60k mi). So i guess i need to know if i can use that head (d15b7) and still mate it to the HF intake manifold? I'm trying to keep my spending on the low, and not looking to go fast anymore, but save gas.

These are some solutions I am thinking of:

1. Solve the head gasket issue and just get it replaced/resurfaced
2. pick up the d15b7 head and try matching the Intake Manifold to it
3. Just pick up another motor?

I am open to any other suggestions. What other options do I have without doing a full swap?

*other stuff to add:
-no leak of coolant
-white smoke from exhaust from time to time at higher rpms or from stop
-with AC on the idle is much better but hunts from time to time
-I cleaned the IACV
-horrible mpg

Sorry for the super duper long first post. Thanks for any input.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

I don't know much about CX's. My advice on older Civics in general would be to replace the engine with a used one in good condition (runs, doesn't burn oil and has less than 250k on it). If you swap, search the forums for transmission information to make sure you have what you want. If the body isn't that good than I'd just get another car altogether. My fourth generation (88-91) Civics are getting a little harder to find used parts for, so I might upgrade to fifth generation (92-95) soon.

Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the input.

I think im going to utilize the CX trans and go with a dx motor to swap in (local used car-part place has a motor with 52k and warranty). The body is in pretty good condition and really just needs a good motor.

I adjusted the fitv, cleaned it, and reset the ecu. it runs a bit better, but of course still loosing oil at the head.

Upon further inspection and research, I think i might have a normal d15b intake manifold.

thanks.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote