Replacing drive belts on a '92 VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Question Help!

Okay, I ran into a problem when trying to remove the A/C compressor belt.

I've already got the car up on ramps and have removed the bolts holding the mount bracket up, to allow this belt in particular to pass through and out of the engine bay.

When I went to loosen the Tension Adjusting bolt(located on top of the idler pulley), I screwed it all of the way out without the tension being relieved. It seems like the Idler Pulley is in a strange 'stuck' position? Almost as if the screw in the center was tightened too much to allow the mechanism in the back of the idler to lower while unscrewed the Adjusting Bolt.

I'll post a pic in a second. Should I un-tighten the bold on the front side of the Idler Pulley to see if it allows that piece in the back to drop, thus relieving tension?

EDIT: Added picture

Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

The center bolt IS tightened to keep it in place. You need to loosen it FIRST and then use the adjustor bolt. No offense, but did you even read the service manual pages I took the time to post? "Step 1. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and the through bolt nut"

Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
The entire mount or just the mounting screws? It looks like it may be easier to do this from under the car. The engine won't fall on me or anything just by pull the bolts? Not very familiar with fooling with motor mounts. Once I get the screws out I should be able to just get enough play for the old/new belt to slip by. Thankfully the alternator belt is easier to get to.

EDIT: It looks like its just the bracket, not the mount.
*SIGH*.... Again, did you even look at the pictures I took the time to post? It shows the 2 motor mount bolts you need to remove. Yes, you HAVE to do this from underneath the car as that is where the motor mount bolts to the frame. The engine will not fall on you, there is still the upper motor mount, and transmission mounts holding the motor in the car.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
The center bolt IS tightened to keep it in place. You need to loosen it FIRST and then use the adjustor bolt. No offense, but did you even read the service manual pages I took the time to post? "Step 1. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and the through bolt nut"
Yes, I did read and even printed out the pages from the manual that you posted. The only part referring to what I was working on; A/C belt, only said to loosen the tension adjusting bolt. The through bolt/nut was referring to the alternator's belt. This is my first belt change on my own, btw.

ADDED: I did find another page on the manual mentioning the bolt/nut finally. I must've been blind.

I appreciate the help. It just ran into a problem with the center bolt on the idler pulley. It is SUPER tight. I might need to use a breaker bar. I haven't even touched the alternator side, as you can't really replace that belt without removing the AC belt.

Would something like WD40 help loosen this nut on the idler pulley? It seems like its been in one position for years.

UPDATE: I finally got the idler pulley's nut loose tonight. After that, the replacements of both belts proceeded without a hitch. Very straight forward replacement and I liked that I could set the tension right myself from the get go. Set them within spec, and now the pulley doesn't make that old 'scratching' sound when the A/C is on and RPM's get high/during shifting. It seems like the previous adjustment was probably off somewhat before replacing, the old belts sort of have a 'rustic' look to them. Only $29 bucks and both belts done now.

The only thing I could use was a wrench for the idler pulley bolt. Nothing else fit in that tight spot along the tire well.

Thanks for the help again. Looking forward to getting some other work done.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #15
Registered Member

No problem... Sorry if I seemed a little short. Was a long weekend hacking away at a pine tree in 90*+ heat and my back has been killing me for it (thus making me a bit on edge).
Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
No problem... Sorry if I seemed a little short. Was a long weekend hacking away at a pine tree in 90*+ heat and my back has been killing me for it (thus making me a bit on edge).
Hey, I totally get that. It has been a killer summer already.