Replacing drive belts on a '92 VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Replacing drive belts on a '92 VX?

Is there anything you have to remove in order to get to the belts and replace them? I noticed the one engine mount towards the front to work around.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

The AC is the only one that you have an issue with. It goes around the lower motor mount and so you need to remove the mount from the frame of the car to slide the old belt off and the new belt on.

*Edit* Site seems to scale the picture, if you want the full size, just click on the picture and it should take you to a larger version.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

What the hell... Here are the other two belts:

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

During the winter my belts were squealing when we first bought the car, especially during start up the screeching sound. This summer it doesn't do this. Is this sound related to the Idler Pulley or is it the belts slipping?

Now, if I'm using the A/C at all and I put the engine under any load approaching WOT; basically VTEC-e engaged, it will screech ever so annoyingly for a brief second while switching to a higher gear.

No power steering on my car so I only have to worry about the A/C compressor belt and the belt with the water pump/alternator.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
No power steering on my car so I only have to worry about the A/C compressor belt and the belt with the water pump/alternator.
Water pump is spun by the timing belt (just FYI, you might have known that and just typed it without thinking). I would just replace the belts (they are cheap) and check the tension/deflection on them after install and see if it goes away. The specs on the alternator belt are above and the AC belt are:

Deflection:
Used Belt: 6.5-10.5mm (0.26-0.41in)
New Belt: 5.0-7.0mm (0.20-0.31in)

Tension:
Used Belt: 350-500N (35-50kg, 77-110lb)
New Belt: 600-800N (60-80kg, 132-176lb)
Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
Water pump is spun by the timing belt (just FYI, you might have known that and just typed it without thinking). I would just replace the belts (they are cheap) and check the tension/deflection on them after install and see if it goes away. The specs on the alternator belt are above and the AC belt are:

Deflection:
Used Belt: 6.5-10.5mm (0.26-0.41in)
New Belt: 5.0-7.0mm (0.20-0.31in)

Tension:
Used Belt: 350-500N (35-50kg, 77-110lb)
New Belt: 600-800N (60-80kg, 132-176lb)
Do you know if any one autopart store has a more seamless replacement for the original belts for the VX? I was looking at both for $28 combined, prior to tax, from O'Reilly's. Their standard Gates V-ribbed.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

check this link, very last post--your auto part sources...http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ight=suppliers
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
Do you know if any one autopart store has a more seamless replacement for the original belts for the VX? I was looking at both for $28 combined, prior to tax, from O'Reilly's. Their standard Gates V-ribbed.
Maybe it is because it is early and for some reason I am having a hard time staying awake at work..... but what exactly are you asking when you mention a "more seamless replacement"?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe it is because it is early and for some reason I am having a hard time staying awake at work..... but what exactly are you asking when you mention a "more seamless replacement"?
Oh, just that is it not much different than if it was actually an OEM Honda drive belt?

I believe the ones on right now are the Dayco from Advance. Since they seemed to hold up this long from the previous owner, I'd imagine that's just fine of a fit.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
The AC is the only one that you have an issue with. It goes around the lower motor mount and so you need to remove the mount from the frame of the car to slide the old belt off and the new belt on.

*Edit* Site seems to scale the picture, if you want the full size, just click on the picture and it should take you to a larger version.
The entire mount or just the mounting screws? It looks like it may be easier to do this from under the car. The engine won't fall on me or anything just by pull the bolts? Not very familiar with fooling with motor mounts. Once I get the screws out I should be able to just get enough play for the old/new belt to slip by. Thankfully the alternator belt is easier to get to.

EDIT: It looks like its just the bracket, not the mount.