Shifting transmissions................. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Shifting transmissions.................

Dense - and dangerous - Northern California traffic is becoming worse each day,

My next VW may be an automatic.

The DSG can shift faster than I - But comes with big time maintenance every 40k.

Any thoughts appreciated.

ez

ezshift5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

We much prefer manuals this side of the pond. But I bought my first automatic this year. I've grown to quite like it, but then I drive my manual and I'm reminded how enjoyable driving can be, almost like the car is a part of you (excuse my cliché)

But I recently took my auto to a city, and I can see the appeal, it's one less thing to worry about when you're not entirely sure what lane you need at what junction, and can concentrate fully on directions. And if traffic is bad, depressing and then holding the clutch in multiple times may give your lower leg fatigue.

So, figure out your personal situation, and base your choice on that. For me, on near empty rural racetrack like roads, it's manual all the way. I visit traffic infused cities once or twice a year, an auto is not worth my time.

DSG's are heavy because you have two clutches, higher maintenance and can be problematic too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

After more than two decades of driving manual transmission vehicles, and enjoying them, I got an automatic purely by circumstance and loved it. Ended up with automatics for 25 years before reverting to a manual with the Jazz. Big mistake for city driving.
My nephew had a Golf with a DSG gearbox and found it a pain. Very difficult to manoeuvre into tight spaces though I believe the latest DSG boxes are better.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
After more than two decades of driving manual transmission vehicles, and enjoying them, I got an automatic purely by circumstance and loved it. Ended up with automatics for 25 years before reverting to a manual with the Jazz. Big mistake for city driving.
M[y nephew had a Golf with a DSG gearbox and found it a pain. Very difficult to manoeuvre into tight spaces though I believe the latest DSG boxes are better[/I].
[/B]

Thanksfor the DSG - later versions - info Jocko...............

My 1.4/5M still has the powertrain warranty and low miles - - - I can hang in there vis-a-vis increasingly denser traffic - and encoresingly denser drivers for a few more years............

ez
ezshift5 is offline   Reply With Quote