Turned out pretty good... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Registered Member

id either rattle bomb silver or black.

black matches alll haha

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
Registered Member

LOL.... Hatin' on my wheels.

Actually have a set of Civic VX wheels that I am supposed to go pick up on Sunday. Trying to decide for sure, but thinking I will paint them white before I put them on the car (finish on them is a little beat up, so they need refinished).

This is basically what it would end up looking like (thinking about painting the mirrors and the side door trim like in this picture):

Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Registered Member

Wow, that fix-it job is impeccable. I'd love to know your technique for sanding it smooth and feathering. I can't seem to find any GOOD DIY references for this aspect of the repair, meant for a total new-b to painting.

Can I suggest something, though? Take out your interior quarter panels and smother the inner side of the body in POR-15 or other rust inhibitor. The rust will just come back otherwise, no doubt about it, and it occurrs to me that POR-15 is a much more long-term solution.
deschlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

I was thinking maybe red with maybe a double white pinstripe on the wheels...ala 1948 Cadillac...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
Lean Burn Mode

Very Nice work!!!

Its amazing what wheels do for the look of a automobile.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschlong View Post
Can I suggest something, though? Take out your interior quarter panels and smother the inner side of the body in POR-15 or other rust inhibitor. The rust will just come back otherwise, no doubt about it, and it occurrs to me that POR-15 is a much more long-term solution.
Problem is you cannot get that area I was too from the inside of the car (take a look at the pictures and you will see the metal inner fender liner on the other side). This is more of a "slow it down" mod for the rust than actual repair. I plan on buying patch panels and doing it the correct way eventually, but getting ready to move so I do not want to spend the money on a welder right now.

But yes, I do agree, this will not stop the rust by any means.

As for red wheels with white pinstripes... Do not think I could do that. Now with with red pinstripes, possibly... lol But really think I will just go for the all white look, I am to lazy to try and do pinstripes, the red (or whatever color I maybe decide to do) "H" on the centercap will be about all the accent I do...

That said, here is a picture of the "new" wheels, just picked them up yesterday. Not bad for $160. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0228001936.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1413  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Is POR15 available as a spray? You could have sprayed it (using a spray straw) through the rust hole before patching it, or you could drill an access hole somewhere now to spray it...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
Registered Member

Yeah... could, but hoping to do the patch panels in the next year. Just have to see if our house sells or not (not selling it because we "have" to, just hoping someone buys it to take advantage of the tax credits so we can buy more land and build a new house).

I did scrape out as much crud/loose rust as I could and then used the shop vac to try and suck out anything else. Like I said before. I know I did not do it the "correct" way because I was looking for a cheap easy "fix" for now.