Volkswagen Golf Mk3 Mileage Question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Volkswagen Golf Mk3 Mileage Question

Recently and perhaps because I'm on the highway more I've found that my car consumes a lot more gas and that it normally had. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I had overdrive or a 5th gear since most highways around me are 55 mph speed limits and in 4th I'm at 45 just at about 2,000 rpms which seems to be the most fuel friendly for me. Getting up to 55 mph puts me just under 3,000 rpms which seems to gulp gas down. If my car had a standard transmission it would be much better for me but it's not so I have to look for alternative solutions. Also notice I'm fairly unfamiliar with how car engines work. What I was wondering was if there was any ways you guys could recommend to improve my gas mileage without dumping a ton of money?

dakotamk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There are plenty of things you can do. Read this thread:
http://www.gassavers.org/f5/gmc-sierra-14666.html

In my experience, VW doesn't provide efficient highway gears on their manuals at all.