Diesels are very efficent at idle? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
*shrug*

Holy cow, that's fantastic.

My friend's parent used to have that truck, he loved it, and since he's been looking for another to replace his lost childhood.

Wow, all 3-4 (counting hurts) months you left it idling.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
Registered Member

Diesels seem like a good for city driving.

So, I guess this confirms what i already thought. Diesels are the idle masters.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Holy cow, that's fantastic.

My friend's parent used to have that truck, he loved it, and since he's been looking for another to replace his lost childhood.

Wow, all 3-4 (counting hurts) months you left it idling.
yeah, I'd love to find another one too.. best truck ever. Could've used a bit more power (only has 59HP brand new) but they last forever if you keep the body alive and are so easy and fun to drive.

I know of one about 30 miles from me with 500,000 miles on it, guy takes really good care of it though and it looks brand new.
Terrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrh
yeah, I'd love to find another one too.. best truck ever. Could've used a bit more power (only has 59HP brand new) but they last forever if you keep the body alive and are so easy and fun to drive.

I know of one about 30 miles from me with 500,000 miles on it, guy takes really good care of it though and it looks brand new.

why do diesels engine last longer than gasoline engines? because diesels are much better lubricated?

I wonder how long a gasoline engine can idle for before dying haha, i'd feel so bad wasting all that gas!

on the plus side diesel is cheaper than gasoline at the moment!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
Team OPEC Busters!

bumping an old thread, but I have a TDI and once it’s warm at idle it consumes .2L per hour.
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #16
Registered Member

jst buy an engine block heater for at home, or switch to ev so u don't have to worry about it..
Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
Supporting Member

philmcneal -

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
why do diesels engine last longer than gasoline engines? because diesels are much better lubricated?

I wonder how long a gasoline engine can idle for before dying haha, i'd feel so bad wasting all that gas!

on the plus side diesel is cheaper than gasoline at the moment!
I'd feel bad wasting the gas too, but maybe you could attach a DC->AC inverter and "feed" the extra electricity load it is generating into your house. It wouldn't add much, but it wouldn't be going to waste either.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
Registered Member

No big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstb88
jst buy an engine block heater for at home, or switch to ev so u don't have to worry about it..
It's no big deal with the new technology. The "glow plugs" that allow cold starts have advanced in technology, so it'll be easier to start. If it's a Diesel-Hybrid and or plug-in more solutions would be available.

Also, to answer a previous question -- diesels last longer because they're built to withstand the very high compression ratios of the combustion (thicker blocks and sleeves within the cylinder).

RH77
Old 10-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #19
Team OPEC Busters!

I am with you I very very rarely idle for any lenth of time. I do have a 120vac coolant heater for winter. By the way using the coolant heater increases my MPG by about 10% on a 11 mile trip.
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
bumping an old thread, but I have a TDI and once it’s warm at idle it consumes .2L per hour.

wow how long does it take for you to warm up? that's insane since it takes me .8L per hour fully warmed up when idling... man no wonder them diesels don't benifit much with an auto-stop feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloSW2
I'd feel bad wasting the gas too, but maybe you could attach a DC->AC inverter and "feed" the extra electricity load it is generating into your house. It wouldn't add much, but it wouldn't be going to waste either.

true but i'm too lazy to find that out.