Furnace oil... - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
Registered Member

Been gone a while. Well, I drove straight furnace oil from march 08 until about nov 08 then started diesel in the front/oil in the rear again for over winter. Forgot to switch it a couple times and although it rattles REALLY bad and smokes WAY more, it will start up on furnace oil at -15C. I have to check the glow plugs as it's getting harder to start (even on diesel) and when it does, it hits on only a few cyl's for the first 30-45 seconds before the others start lighting off.
Anyway, good to see the thread is still going. They have pretty much stopped using the red dye around here for some reason. Also, it was leaving a red tint in the filler neck but that's pretty much washed away now.
Filled up Saturday for 59 cents a litre instead of 90 cents for diesel! Woohoo!

dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 AM   #22
Registered Member

Re: Furnace oil...

Up here in the great white north if one uses coloured diesel fuel in an on road auto etc., I heard it is a $50,000 fine for both the owner of the on road auto truck etc., and the driver also so not worth it.

Diesel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #23
Registered Member

Might as well update. Lost the site as my old computor went poof and just got the e-mail the the site is back up. Cool, because I forgot about it (as well as a bunch of other sites)
Anyway, -5 here and again, there is a difference when cold. Lots of smoke and rattling when starting/driving cold on furnace oil. Once the engine is hot there's barely a difference in noise, no smoke. When the engine is cold though, if you switch back and forth between the two on the highway, the engine is quiet..after 3-4km's it gets louder and louder. Switch back and it gets progressively quieter.
It's about $.30/L cheaper consistently.
The red dye does NOT leave a residue or stain.

654,000km's on the original engine so far, never been apart. (that's why I should replace the injectors..nope still haven't, glow plugs either) New alternator and belt tensioner, replaced the tranny....damn I love this truck!
Just usual stuff, brakes,shocks,exh,changed out one battery two years ago...Yay Ford!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
Registered Member

here in california, they do roadside stops every so often on any diesel powered vehicle to test for dyed diesel. from what I hear, it is a hefty fine.
mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #25
Registered Member

And yet another reason I don't want to live in California...LOL!

Never even heard of somebody being stopped/checked around here.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #26
Registered Member

Update..just because.
-21 last night and it was shut off with furnace oil in it. Rattled and clattered but fired right up.
656,000km's on it now.
Furnace is $.86 and diesel is $1.30!!!
Inventories are way up but speculators are jumpy causing the spike. Screw the middle east, drop a nuke on them then dig new well's! LOL!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #27
Registered Member

i worked for a few fuel company and we took fuel out of the same tank for both products, so it is the same just named diffrent for taxes. also jet a can be used for the colder months as it is the same as number 1 (arctic stove oil)
guyluky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #28
Registered Member

Tax violation. They spot check in NY.
TFuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Yes, the untaxed fuel is supposed to by dyed. I believe it also leaves traces of dye on the filler too so just a quick look under the fuel cap will reveal if untaxed fuel has been used recently.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #30
Registered Member

Doesn't the dye also linger in spots? So you might get busted even if the recent fill was road diesel.

Probably mentioned before(maybe by me), but heating oil contains a lot more sulfur than road diesel. Around 30 to 50 times more than ULSD. This means more particulates and other nasties out of the tailpipe, and it will wreck the pricy catalytic convertor on newer diesels.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote