Gas to Diesel Engine Swap - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Gas to Diesel Engine Swap

Recently, I've wondering if it were possible to drop a diesel engine into a 98 Honda Civic Cx. I got the idea from watching MTV's "Rob & Big", whereas one of them took a 79 Ford Pinto to "Lovecraft Biofuels" in which the gas engine was swapped out for a diesel engine and had a WVO system installed.

If it is at all possible, what kind of engine & tranny would I need, and were would I go to make the swap?

Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 AM   #2

Short answer, yes it's possible.

Long answer, you'll have to find an engine smaller than what you have now as the blocks are built up more to handle the pressure, you'll want a turbo, headers will most likely have to be custom made, getting the computers to work together will be a headache, the front suspension will need stiffer springs to handle the extra weight.

If I had to suggest an available engine, it would be the 1.9L VW TDi engine.

I would rather just get a Golf TDi and sell the Honda though.

ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
you would almost be better off to cut off the front end of both cars and just swap the front ends, as the honda engine is on the drivers side of the car, with tranny on the passenger side, and the VW is the other way around.
there are not any diesel engines that are going to be an easy fit, but if you have a TV show with a large budget there is all kinds of stuff that can be done, and I'm sure they picked the ford pinto because of an engine that would fit in it, I figure if this is the kind of question that you have to ask, then you most likely don't have the skills to do it, because if you did have the skills you would just do it.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

A gas-to-diesel swap would be easy for a GM front-engine rear drive vehicle. A 6.2 or 6.5 would bolt right up to a GM pickup or Caprice or Corvette.

A Honda or other front-wheel drive car...I dunno.
4 inch suspension slam
Aero mods: "Fastback" fairing and rugged air dam and side skirts
Stock MPG: 19
Summer MPG: 27.0
Winter MPG: 24
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

See this, putting a VW motor in a minivan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkf4cxAaTmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1s2jqhqMEc

(I kinda wanna do this sometime)
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote