Tyre efficiency rating A - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Tyre efficiency rating A

Hi,
Sadly, it is just today that I have discovered tyres have a letter relating to their fuel efficiency, from A best to G worst.
My I20 blue drive seems to have come with C rated tyres, which at 20,000 miles are due to have the front ones replaced shortly.
I am able to find at best B rated tyres - I have 185/60R15 84H currently, does anyone knows of A rated tyres for this wheel size?
Many thanks
Ben

benlovesgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

I'm not sure of the sizes, I know Continental make an ECO contact tyre, I had them on my Panda. Pretty hard compound though, be warned, they are a bit noisier than regular tyres. If you go on my tyres.co.UK or blackcircles.co.UK there are huge choices on there, you should be able to find a tyre you like.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, yes - noise not a problem, I'll just put Led Zep on....!
It was Black Circles that alerted me to the rating - I found several B rated tyres, and an auto Express test (but on a different tyre size) listed the top 4 as;
Goodyear Efficient Grip, Dunlop Sport bluresponsem Pirelli Cintaurato P7 blue and Hankook Vetus Prime.
These brands seem to have A rating in the larger tested sizes, but only B rating in my i20 size.....
I'll just pick the best of the Bs, but now I know As exist, I want some of them....!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

Consider yourself lucky, the best I can get is E rating in my size!

To be fair, I doubt there's going to be a huge difference between A and B, in the real World you're probably looking at pennies per year in difference between fuel savings.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

Just a quick question, been looking at your fuel logs. On the tanks you got 83 MPG, what kind of conditions/speeds/roads were they?

Old 02-25-2015, 04:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well, that was when I drove to Liverpool and back at 56 mph...! Most of the miles that fill were motorway, but I had a couple of hundred miles of normal country roads and hills. I am very unimpressed with my economy, it seems too random - like a fault - as I always drive economically, and on pretty much the same routes. It seems I have a bit too much tread left to justify a tyre change right away. The advisor on Black circles said that the difference between an A and a B is it saves about a gallon over 625 miles (so a tankful!).
Dunno whether that is true, I'll see if I can find out if its the same difference between C and B.
If so, then its worth changing early I guess!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Your economy does seem a bit random, you expect big drops like that with a petrol engine, but diesels are usualy pretty consistant, regardless of where or how you drive. That gallon per 600 odd miles seems a big difference, but thats probably for an average car that maybe only gets 35 to 40 MPG, just my guess though.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

To hell with it - helped by a wife who has the motto "if in doubt, buy it" and my own curiosity, I stuck a pair of the "B" rated bluresponse tyres on my front end. £130 the pair fitted, seems not much more than the budget rubbish I always used to buy (if not pulling wheels out the scrapyard!) - wish I had known about the mpg difference between tyres previously, who knows what my old ZX would have achieved on decent rubber!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ok cool, now take it easy on them, im not sure how ECO tyres hold up in the wet, or on the twisty bits, designed to cause less friction, they might be a bit slippery!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Registered Member

"A tyre's rolling resistance score ranges from A to G. Over the life of the tyre, fitting an A rated tyre could save you up to 6 litres of fuel when compared to a G rated tyre"

6 litres of fuel is nothing in 15,000 to 20,000 miles, so I wouldn't worry too much about the efficiency rating!