Basjoos Top Speed - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

Man, if I was at 99.1 it would bug the heck out of me till I got at least one 100+ MPG tank.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

CD of .19.

Same basic design could be used for cars, vans, and trucks.

regards
gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcxbionic1_1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1228  

Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

the prius has a similar design. not sure the cd of it though.

also the up and coming insight (the 2009 model) as long as the pictures are valid. sometimes the concept vehicle and the production vehicle are completely different.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
Registered Member

One thing I've noticed is that, as I've lowered my Cd, the less FE benefit I get from drafting. Likewise, anyone drafting me gets no FE benefit since my car doesn't leave a low pressure wake behind it for a drafter to stick their nose into.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Federal CD requirements would provide immediate increases in overall efficiency
Federal Cd requirements would have the same result as CAFE requirements -- cars would lose more marketshare to trucks, and people would buy more bigger trucks to have the image, perceived power, and perceived space/comfort they want. Maybe this would be partially mitigated by more cars being classified as SUVs, as automakers do with many station wagons now to help deal with CAFE.

Quote:
followed by smaller engines that could do the job, because work loads would be lower overall for all operational ranges.
Better Cd would have zero effect on the engine size required to sell to the general public. The engines are already far oversized for maintaining highway speeds with existing Cd; they are sized to provide marketable acceleration. Significant weight reduction is required to reduce power production and still sell vehicles.

Quote:
In my opinion much has been lost with the recent trend towards taller cars, with correspondingly greater frontal area. I also believe this is a direct result of the drivers of smaller cars wanting better visibility when surrounded by SUVs that literally dwarf them in size.
I personally find all these taller cars ugly, but they do seem to be getting narrower to go with that extra height. It was my impression that they were doing that to provide more space with less weight; building it taller must require less weight than building it wider or longer.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #16

Basjoos when this whole fuel shortage insanity is over we should put together a hypermiler meet. I'm in southern NC so a central location would be easy.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Registered Member

I disagree Holycow.

A CD requirement on all vehicles addresses what can be done quickly without major retooling. Manufacturers already change styles frequently so the old ones are considered obsolete.

Frontal area would be greater on larger vehicles, but the time to design them all for best high speed (CD related) mileage is way past due.

Engine sizes could be reduced by 50% right now, with numerous methods available to give them short term higher rates of power.

Powertrains have been obsolete for decades. We all know about my powertrain design, so no need to dwell on that.

CD allows you to reduce engine size as well as RPM while still maintaining highway speeds.

If a Basjoos type aero mod can increase my VX's mileage to even 75 MPG, then there is no reason to not make it that way. It's nothing new, proven technology, and if you require it for all vehicles there is no place for people to run to as far as different designs.

It would take 7+ years to replace the vehicle fleet. Really efficient cars would be snapped up and used to reduce the families average consumption. My family average is 43 MPG. The wifes car gets under 23, but we only drive it 1/3rd of the time. Such tactics are also available immediately.

regards
gary
Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
A CD requirement on all vehicles addresses what can be done quickly without major retooling. Manufacturers already change styles frequently so the old ones are considered obsolete.
Stricter CAFE would do the same thing, and probably result in much Cd improvement...but again, you didn't address the example that was proven by CAFE or why it wouldn't happen again with Cd requirements -- trucks will become more popular, or cars are going to get much larger in order to provide better noses and boattails while still providing the interior space and shape that buyers demand.

Quote:
Engine sizes could be reduced by 50% right now, with numerous methods available to give them short term higher rates of power.

Powertrains have been obsolete for decades. We all know about my powertrain design, so no need to dwell on that.
Agreed.

Quote:
CD allows you to reduce engine size as well as RPM while still maintaining highway speeds.
No, it doesn't. Cd isn't the limiting factor. There's already 3 to 10 times the necessary power for maintaining highway speeds in common vehicles. It takes maybe 22hp to move my VW at 60mph? It's got a 170hp engine.

RPM can be reduced already. Transmissions come with more and more gears every year (6 speed automatics are common, and if many people bought manuals you could bet 7 speeds would be common), but they only make the gears closer and maybe first gear lower. My 5 speed VW is at a totally unnecessary 3000rpm at 70mph, and it's got ample passing power without even having to downshift to 4th. I could handle downshifting to 4th for difficult passes, and have 5th gear run 2200 rpm.

That said, high gear could be even taller with better Cd...but it would be much more cost-effective to simple add higher gears instead of closer gears when putting more gears in a transmission.

Quote:
If a Basjoos type aero mod can increase my VX's mileage to even 75 MPG, then there is no reason to not make it that way. It's nothing new, proven technology, and if you require it for all vehicles there is no place for people to run to as far as different designs.
Agreed. Good luck producing it cost-effectively and selling it to consumers without having them jump ship to something that doesn't qualify -- you'll start seeing light/medium duty commercial cab-chassis trucks being sold with pickup beds for non-commercial use (and then with chopped chassis and passenger bodies as SUVs)...or is the Cd requirement going to be in effect for those too?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
Basjoos when this whole fuel shortage insanity is over we should put together a hypermiler meet. I'm in southern NC so a central location would be easy.
Fine with me. I wonder how many hypermilers there are near the Raleigh to Atlanta I-85 corridor who would be interested in such a meet?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #20
Registered Member

I may be coming through there in a couple of days driving a 2001 Eldorado from Orlando to Virginia.

regards
gary