Body Styling, aerodynamics & FE - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question Body Styling, aerodynamics & FE

How much difference does the styleing of a car affect the FE?

In a point of seeing what I can modify on my car to save a bit more gas. Looking at perhaps changing the front end of mine.

Attachment 1273 Same car I have, different colour.

Attachment 1274 Wondering if replacing stock fender with one similar to this would be a good thing?????

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-88-91_Oldsmobile_Cutlass_Supreme_front.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1082   Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-97-03_Pontiac_Grand_Prix_GTP_coupe.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1083  

Antares2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

The "white knight" you have is essentially the same car as my 1995 Regal.Don't be afraid to block the grille completely off,I did it to mine and the temp gauge runs in the same position now as before.The only place the radiator gets air is straight up from the air dam. I also plan to build a better air dam(modify the existing one) to get some of the air out around the tires,but leave it a little higher in the middle and add a belly pan back to the crossmember to smooth air under the car. I don't have any of the luggage rack/spoiler on the trtunk lid though.Do you think it does anything for getting the air off of the end more efficiently?

67 Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

If this is not viable, what would be suggested as aero mods that could be done realistically. As I live in Canada, must be drivable in winter time if possible.

All comments/suggestions welcome.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Satellite View Post
The "white knight" you have is essentially the same car as my 1995 Regal.Don't be afraid to block the grille completely off,I did it to mine and the temp gauge runs in the same position now as before.The only place the radiator gets air is straight up from the air dam. I also plan to build a better air dam(modify the existing one) to get some of the air out around the tires,but leave it a little higher in the middle and add a belly pan back to the crossmember to smooth air under the car. I don't have any of the luggage rack/spoiler on the trtunk lid though.Do you think it does anything for getting the air off of the end more efficiently?
I really don't know how air comes off the end. The luggage rack/spoiler, would rather take off personally (looks stupid IMO). I put a temporary air dam on, which is 6" off the front, then the middle 6.5-6.34" high.

Been thinking about a partial underbelly. Looking under the car, not sure how a full would be done off hand. A partial is better than none.

Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to CryingStreetRacer Send a message via Yahoo to CryingStreetRacer
What materials are best for belly pans? And would there be any problem with putting a belly pan on the entire underside of a car(or would that depend on the model)?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryingStreetRacer View Post
What materials are best for belly pans? And would there be any problem with putting a belly pan on the entire underside of a car(or would that depend on the model)?
Ideally some material which resists wind forces but has some flexibility for curbs impacts etc.
Signs for real estate sales and political campaigns work well. This is the plastic stuff with the wavy web in the centre.
Anyone know the name of this stuff ?. I know it has one I just can't think of it.

Fitting varies from car to car but mostly it is pretty straightforward. A few screws and you are in business BUT make sure what you are screwing into has no pipes or wires behind it.
Make sure too the wind "waterfalls" over the panels. In other words have each panels a little behind the panel ahead of it or you will just have them make more turbulent airflow.

Cheers , Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The real estate corrugated plastic sign stuff is called "coroplast".
Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Making a belly pan is my next project. Someone I know, mentioned fiberglass, as it is moldable to the shape etc that you desire. New air dam testing first.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

The shape of the car has a HUGE effect if most of your driving is at highway speeds. I started out with a car that got 44mpg in the winter/50mpg in the summer and after extensive aero mods am now getting 65mpg in the winter/75mpg in the summer.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Registered Member

Been enjoying looking at your car basjoos. My project is a 1970 Karmann Ghia. Not too rusty but the front and rear ends are pretty rough. I can fab sheet metal pretty good.

I hope to put a D600 Kubota Diesel engine in it and do some radical aero mods. Get it roadworthy first and then fab and tack weld the aero mods for testing, then finish the metal work when I have it so it will achieve its highest practical speed.

The engine is rated to consume 1 gal per hour at 12 HP sustained. It will be interesting to see what kind of speed I can get her to with that little power.
Probably use propane injection for better acceleration.

One thing I considered (don't laugh too hard ).
Creating large volume ducting that would allow me to use the high pressure air in front of the car and actually use a propeller to push it out into the low presssure area behind the car.

At higher speeds it might (and I emphasize MIGHT) be better to use the propeller as the principal means of propulsion.

The Quickie Q2 Rutan designed canard airplane could cruise at 100 MPH on 18horsepower. Since most of your losses at high speeds are drag, the concept of sucking the high pressure air from the front and blowing it out into the low pressure area behicnd the car is very appealing to me.

Its probably just a pipe dream, but if it worked you could "blow' a tailgater off you rear end LMAO.

Smokey Yunick did some of that type of stuff in the earlier days of NASCAR but they caught on fairly quickly and made it illegal.

regards
gary