Can an exterior block be stealth? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Can an exterior block be stealth?

Ok, so the fiance's Lexus ES300 has a massive grill up top and then a giant one below the bumper. No idea why really, yeah it's a V6, but the radiator is bigger than the one in my pickup!

Anyway with it being so cold it definately doesn't need all that grill.

Ok, so I can't do a stealth mod from behind:
This car has a crazy body pan, it's almost impossible to change the oil filter or anything else from under the car for that matter. But then if that's what helps it get 33MPG@65MPH with a 3L V6 at 3500+lbs then I'm ok with that.

Anyway, so we have to go from the outside, so the other day I cut a piece of coroplast to fit (the grill part is actually recessed a bit in the bumper), sprayed it black and ziptied it at diagnols. I even patterned the zip ties .

Anyway I think it looks pretty good, it's recessed flush with the bumper and doesn't look too obvious, there was just a black grill there before anyway. The trick will be if the fiance notices because I'm sure I'll catch hell for it if she does.

I think should be fine for winter, probably for summer too except she likes to idle for hours with the AC on . So we'll see. I also found out it's 3 bolts to remove the part of ducting that draws intake air from up and over the radiator (you can see it in the last picture just over the right horn). After removing this its should draw from in behind the radiator instead. I'm also curious if this will even help any, with the belly pan it has and all that grill openning, it must have air movement in mind and be piping it out the bottom behind the tranny or something and it's probably in some way it's not disturbing air too much, who knows.

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Have you seen what Phillip did with his Saturn?

He even put a Saturn badge on it. Looks very stock. Other members have used plexiglass to do a block from the front. Smoke colored plexi might even come off as a style enhancment on some cars.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hmm, what was stuck to the bumper, deer whistles?

Yeah looks nice, the screws look good too. Too bad we can't put something inbetween the layers of coroplast, like spring tabs of a normal grill so it's completely hidden.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm hoping this tank is a bit better since I was driving it more. I need all 3 to be Hpyermiler.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
Yeah looks nice, the screws look good too. Too bad we can't put something inbetween the layers of coroplast, like spring tabs of a normal grill so it's completely hidden.
Coroplast is really easy to do with hidden fasteners. It's hollow with a million little channels running through it, and the surface is strong.

You can get one of those wire H-frames that's used for sticking a coroplast sign in the ground and break the wires apart. At that point, you can do many things with the wire:
- You could have the wire stick out the ends and into holes drilled in the car
- You could bend it 90? and stick it in the end, and just cut back the rear surface a little bit so the wire doesn't show past the front surface, then the wire can be bent around the existing grille (or rolled into an eyelet for a screw/washer, etc)
- You could bend it 90? and cut a hole in the rear surface closer to center and ease it in, then attach to the car as described above
- You could conceivably even feed it in the end, break it through the rear after a couple inches, then break it back in to the rear a couple inches before the other end

You can glue coroplast. You could even use zip-ties threaded through the channels.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

I think I did pretty good with my grill block. the pic in my garage shows what it looks like. even I will admit that the pic makes it look better than it actually does. it is pretty smoothe and from about 10 feet away, it looks like it is supposed to be there. up close, not so much.

not too good with the posting of pics so, if curious, check my garge out. (or if someone would be so kind to post it for me). I used plexi-glass and double sided tape along with some white paint and kitchen caulk. redneck?...yes, but if I had not have told you, you might think it was supposed to be that way.

I also did my wifes element but I have been told that it reflects in the sunlight so I guess it isn't too stealthy

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
(or if someone would be so kind to post it for me). I used plexi-glass and double sided tape along with some white paint and kitchen caulk. redneck?...yes, but [...]
Silicone might last longer than common kitchen caulk. Anyway, here's your embedded pictures...

Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Looks like its supposed to be that way.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

holycow,

thanks for posting the pics. I was trying to think of a way to flush it in with the body and the caulk was already white (definite advantages to a white car).

jay,

I have always thought that modifications should look good. I admire that some people use cardboard for experimentation but once you know you want something permanent, I think you should make it permanent.

to each his own though. If my car wasn't white, I would have checked into some of the duplicolor paint at autozone (or similar auto parts store)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I was trying to think of a way to flush it in with the body and the caulk was already white (definite advantages to a white car).
I didn't realize that you just used it to fill gaps. It's perfect for that. I thought you used it as adhesive.