cheapy cheap wheel covers! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenstrang View Post
I'm sure people still associate aerodynamic wheels with those dumpy 80's cars!

You can't blame the public for it's taste, but if we can affect public perception about what a car should look like, it's a start. To someone thinking from a perspective of aerodynamic efficiency, the smooth wheels are much more attractive than thinly spoked race wheels, at least on a car without explicit sporting aspiration (most cars).

It reminds me of several hondas I've seen around here, with low profile tires in the rear, and standard steel wheels in front. (??) They are obviously thinking about their car from a different perspective than I am (...)
yea those people are called ricers and they can only afford 2 rims/tires at a time and are dumb enough to accualy put them on...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
yea those people are called ricers and they can only afford 2 rims/tires at a time and are dumb enough to accualy put them on...
Or the reasoning being that they lowered the car and did not properly align it afterwards, thus wearing down their expensive low profile tires. Then, not being able to afford new low-pro tires again, they put the stock steel wheels back up front. I've also seen people put the steelies on the front for "traction" during winter, but they still left the larger wheels in back...

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
Registered Member

http://rayswheels.co.jp/indexe.html

go jdm with it!! lol

sorry go to products on the top and then go to rays wheels then on the left go to garcia and you'll see what im talking about!

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

since my dad's opel ascona is due to head to the scrapheap (poor things rusted beyound repair....) i'm thinking about adopting his bubcaps (along with anything else i could still use)...they're both 13" and 80's style so that'll fit...

they look like this (not a picture of the actual caps thouth...less scratches on his):

ok not a full moon, but surely better than 90% of what you see on todays cars.
to bad there aren't any cheap aftermarket disks...

i'm just worrdied about scratching the finish on my rims...

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Or the reasoning being that they lowered the car and did not properly align it afterwards, thus wearing down their expensive low profile tires. Then, not being able to afford new low-pro tires again, they put the stock steel wheels back up front. I've also seen people put the steelies on the front for "traction" during winter, but they still left the larger wheels in back...
true, or they bought too wide of rims and dont fit...(cant turn without rubbing) or too big(again cant turn without mashing fender)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
Hah, well, trying not to be judgemental... I was emphasizing that, given only two performance wheels, I would have put them on the driving axles! This puts me, someone motivated by better performance, at odds with someone concerned about satisfying some weird culturally embedded idea of what a performance car looks like (a valid one in context since performance road cars are RWD).

So anyway, for the mounting I decided to cook some crown nuts and melt them into place on the hubcap, so that the plastic, when rigid, would hold the nut against the force of threading a bolt in or out.

Then I just dabbed some E6000 adhesive(good stuff) to keep the nuts there, and it only remains to clear the threads once it's all dry!

mock-up:

edenstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
http://rayswheels.co.jp/indexe.html

go jdm with it!! lol

sorry go to products on the top and then go to rays wheels then on the left go to garcia and you'll see what im talking about!
I can see totally see those wheels on a lowered minivan with a gigantic splitter 4 feet out in front, and various Gundam miscellaeny flanking the sides and rear.

So, I did an extended wheel test yesterday, by driving over the fire roads on our nearby mountain at speed. Needless to say, my parking brake got a workout MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.The wheel cover remained staid through more oscillation than it will ever see during normal operation. I top speed tested it (read: 3cyl metro- 80 mph downhill) and everything stayed tightly bolted. So.... for now, success!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
Registered Member

One interesting note- the melamine cover acts like the skin of a drum- so while wind noise may be reduced while cruising, suspension noise over any bump is magnified. I didn't realize I had a worn sway-bar bushing until now!