Corrupt Commish - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

Both cars got the treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
You really should put that plate back on the front of your car. It makes it so much easier for the cops to know who they're pulling over.
You know, I never understood how some States could mandate the front plate, and others don't have the law in place. On the rare occasion that you have to be identified from the front I guess it comes in handy. Anyways, from the stories I've gotten from the locals in small towns here, it's a big item that rivals the speed trap -- so both cars now have the plate on the front. Part of my hypermiling goal (aside from the obvious) has been to drive slower, less aggressively, and get busted less -- so there we are...

RH77

Old 05-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
from the stories I've gotten from the locals in small towns here, it's a big item that rivals the speed trap
Reminds me of the licence plate scandal around here last winter: the cops were giving tickets for plates that were illegible.

The problem was the plates themselves. The province switched plate style (and manufacturing process) several years back, and the paint on the numbers/letters started to flake off after just a few years. Add in some winter salt, corrosion, and presto! Can't read a thing!

I suspect a conspiracy by the licence plate manufacturing racket

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Here's how little sense ****ing MN laws make: You WILL get pulled over and have to pay The Great State of Minnesota for the Harm you did to it by driving without a front plate.... HOWEVER, when you apply for collector status for your vintage car THEY GIVE YOU ONLY ONE PLATE. Go figure??? Makes me feel all paranoid to take the collector car out on the road; I always have to check the rear view mirror after passing a cop to see if they aren't initiating pursuit...

umm if it has antique plates or collector plates it does not have to have a front plate. in IL you dont even have to have the tags displayed and you can put on a vintage license plate (like lets say from 1950 somehting) and be perfectly fine, BUT you must have the real plates somewhere in the car or proof that you do have them (easier just to throw the plates in the trunk or glovebox)

sounds liek you should really look up your "rules of the road" it should have explained it when you got your collector plates.

it really depends on the state about where to put a plate. in IL it must me lighted from the rear and must be on the farthest point rear of the vhelchle (liek the bumper) and asme with the front. it has to be in the most forward part of the car.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

Side note

The Police are extra vigilant this weekend. I went to the coffee shop this morning and drove within all applicable laws (front plate and all). This time, it was the local (Lee's Summit Police) that got in right behind me and rode my bumper for about a 1/2-mile (within the 2-second safe distance).

I merged to the left lane of the parkway thinking he needed to speed up and make a right, but then hung in my blind spot. At the light, he turned right, and I proceeded straight, then I proceeded right into the coffee shop -- he then entered from the side entrance (having done a U-turn). I got out of the car and got the "stare down". WTF! OK I drive an Integra -- and so do a lot of punks around here. The darn thing looks bone-stock: wheels, exhaust -- the whole works. I've never seen it this bad. There must have been a report that a similar vehicle outran them or is wanted in a felony, etc -- but I'm growing weary of the "treatment". The TSX is way under the radar, so it's gotta be the car. The sad thing is that I belong to the County backup emergency communication group in case their radios fail (ARES for those familiar) -- I sure many don't even know we exist.

RH77 - KC?WPM
Jackson County ARES/Emergency Services NET, Wx-Skywarn Weather NET
Old 05-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #15

You are on the list now ! BTDT and it is No fun at all . May wanna rub elbows a bit by getting your letters and affiliation on the car . It*may* help to let them know you are the "good guy".
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #16
Registered Member

Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
You are on the list now ! BTDT and it is No fun at all . May wanna rub elbows a bit by getting your letters and affiliation on the car . It*may* help to let them know you are the "good guy".
I don't like to "advertise" much on the car (except GS.org of course ), but if the hassle continues, I'll have to do something.

I suspect that it's just the Memorial Day weekend ramp-up. My Father-in-Law reported the same level of activity on the Kansas side of town. But if so, I'll end up trying the Amateur Radio callsign or stickers. They have a specialized plate available, which would definitely put it all to bed.

But, that's not my main hobby or interest to warrant a special plate -- the radio license allows me to do what I need to do -- I'm not into it like some of the older guys who spend $1000's on radios. I have what I need to get the job done, attend the meetings, and ensure proper operation through routine practice sessions. Otherwise, the radios sit dormant until needed. Most of the time I'm out of town for work anyways It's just a bit frustating right now -- time should hopefully subside the issue.

RH77
Old 05-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Umm... what? I do understand completely!

Also unless Ill is different then MN in this regard, you can run old plates that match the year of the car but you must register them with the state- then they ARE the legal plates for the car, the only legal ones, and the others get thrown out.

well the say you made it sound it sounded liek you didnt know that.

but some states origionally had only one plate then switched over to two. i dunno if MN is one of em but it doesnt sound weird to me that antique would only have one plate. if your really paranoid just call up the DMV and ask " do cars registered with vintage plates have to have both a front and rear plate?"

most likely if it is a vintage car the cop would either warn you or not even care and just want to look at your car.

"Most Minnesota vehicles, including cars, pickups and other trucks, and buses, require two license plates to be displayed―one in the front and one in the back of the vehicle.Some vehicles in Minnesota, such as motorcycles, mopeds, and dealer cars, as well as trailers, require only one rear-displayed license plate. Other vehicles that may display only a rear license plate include the following:

Model 1972 or earlier vehicles that are used for regular driving
Vehicles defined as "pioneer, classic, or street rod" that are used for regular driving
Vehicles registered as "pioneer, classic car, collector, or street rod"

When you register your vehicle for the first time, you will receive standard plates unless you specifically apply for special plates. You may swap them for special plates by filling out an application and paying your fees, as explained below."

http://www.dmv.org/mn-minnesota/license-plates.php

link to MN DMV
Old 05-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

hahah i have a lot of illegal stuff on my truck yet ive never been pestered by anyone, except that one time when i had ONE of my 2 tag lights out. cop didnt pull me over or even pull up next to me to tell me either. he was following me extremely close and flashed his highbeams several times. but thats been it, even tho i have a loud exhaust, 5% tint 20% is legal, too many front lights (light output is too high) theres more but those are the ones they could pull me over for. chevete just has 5% tint on rear window.

only thing with cops and my chevette is they want to see it or they want to say nice car or the sort at red lgihts and when i stop for gas.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #19
Registered Member

lol not with my truck. ive been to chicago many times with it and never been pestered either. the chevette, ehh i dunno if i trust its interstate going ability. (id do it if the carrier bearing wasnt worn so much)
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Generally when pigs pull me over,

ROFLMAO
enough said

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote