Disk Wheelcovers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

When I raced, I found some that were made of ABS plastic...they actaully had openings all the way around...sucked air out from underneath the car and cooled the brakes. I will say that they made the brakes work much better...I have been trying to search and find them but no luck yet.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I have had this problem mainly on front drive cars. More so with my domestic's. I think it stems from more from the rotors being to thin and most of all bad braking habits. I've had to turn the rotors on my saturn once already(there were warped from the PO). I also use a torque wrench on my lugnuts up front.
The worst was a '97 Civic at 30K miles. The problem was rapid cooling from snow and likely over-torqued lugs. Someone ran into that car before I could get the rotors turned. The '99 TL required rotor turning/resurfacing at least once. It was getting to the point where it needed it again before we sold it (IIRC, the rotors were recalled, or a TSB was issued).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters
When I raced, I found some that were made of ABS plastic...they actaully had openings all the way around...sucked air out from underneath the car and cooled the brakes. I will say that they made the brakes work much better...I have been trying to search and find them but no luck yet.
I thought about this also. But again, I've heard cool/cold airflow tends to warp as the heat dissipates too quickly.

RH77

Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
Registered Member

those wheel covers might work good, espically the pizza pan ones, but how does one get over the ugly factor. i dont think i could drive a car with smooth wheel covers.

that and the rear wheel skirts. its just too ugly. then again maybe i shouldnt complain, i am an ugly guy and i drive an ugly car. but damn i wouldnt want to make it worse.
csrmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrmel View Post
those wheel covers might work good, espically the pizza pan ones, but how does one get over the ugly factor. i dont think i could drive a car with smooth wheel covers.

that and the rear wheel skirts. its just too ugly. then again maybe i shouldnt complain, i am an ugly guy and i drive an ugly car. but damn i wouldnt want to make it worse.
Well, It's just a Cavalier and I've seen sillier looking cars than mine.Starting with gray plastic hub caps that supposed to look like metal,I don't think I'm suffering any great loss.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #15
Registered Member

What about the hubcaps that are fake "Spinners"...they make me chuckle everytime
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #16
Registered Member

chuckle more at the real ones: at least the fake ones are reasonably priced. BTW I actually think the pizza pans look good with the right color paint or polished less likely to find it up on blocks with no wheels
Old 11-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #17
Supporting Member

csrmel -

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrmel View Post

100% disagreement. Racing disks can look really cool on the right car :

Attachment 1050

One reason I got an SC2 way-back-when was the fact that it's design was ideal for racing disks. When I had these disks on, I got sooooo many looks, and they were far in the majority of approving.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #18
Registered Member

The major bonus would be no visible brake dust, that is if we were ever inclined to actually use brakes...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
Registered Member

I plan on trying transparent wheel covers and wheel skirts not to alter the appearance too much.
GasSavers_HAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHA View Post
I plan on trying transparent wheel covers and wheel skirts not to alter the appearance too much.
I Almost lost my shower curtain thinking the same thing; but decided a different route. Still not a bad idea. If I had it to do over again I would have used window screen and painted it. For clear wheel covers you could use those plastic drain trays used for house plants from the garden section of the dime store (or variation there of).
Truthfully I wanted to stop trying to get into other peoples red Cavalier in parking lots, so I made a clown car of it.