EVO vortex spoiler copy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #1

EVO vortex spoiler copy

Ebay item

I am quite tempted by this! My car is very boxy and this would sit nicely on the roof, but what effect, if any, could I expect?

markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Supporting Member

markweatherill -

At 50 pounds, that's $100 US. I would think that you could get something closer/better for a lower price. Would airtabs be more cost effective? :

http://www.airtab.com/

Maybe not as cool, though.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

If they're not going to make the effort to have their public-facing marketing checked for accuracy and correctness, what does that say about their research and data behind the effectiveness of their product?

That grammar error was the third thing I saw when I loaded their page (without clicking on anything), after I saw the two animations. They have the correct grammar for the same word used at least six times on the same page.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

mark,

Not only is that thing expensive, its probably not an effective vortex generator. I like how they used the words "vortex style". The dimensions of the fins appear to be too large and they're curiously mounted parallel to one another.

The vortex generator(aka:VG) fins of the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO MR are smaller(20mm high), thinner, and are mounted at specified angles. Like this:

Take notice how the inner delta fins are angled inwards @ ~15deg and the angles become incrementally smaller on the the outer fins. Mitsubishi's engineers did extensive wind tunnel testing to optimize the fin shape & positions for the MR. And they're so proud of their work, they decided to release their results to the public:
www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

Now, here's another option that's definitely more cost effective(~$20US), potentially more functional, and still maintains the look you're going for:

http://www.vortekz.com

Here they are on my wagon:

The folks at "Vortekz" apparently based their VG design on Mitsubishi's research. The plastic fins are well made and attach very securely to the vehicle surface. Templates & detailed instructions are included for mounting the fins at the specified angles.

Also worth mentioning...don't expect too much from VGs if you're putting them on a 'two box' vehicle, like your Nissan. I've installed Vortekz VGs on 3 different wagons/minivans so far. The best thing that can be said about them is that they seem to provide a feeling of increased stability @ highway speeds. Although, my friend also claims that they help keep the rear window clean on his Audi A6 Avant (probably due to VGs directing air down the sloped rear window angle of that car). My father is still testing the recently installed Vortekz fins on his Mazda5, but none of the 3 vehicles have yielded an increase in FE from the VGs alone.

Cheers!

SL8Brick
Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

That copy looks like a POS to me, spend the money better elsewhere and get the stickon Vortekz ones. And like SL8Brick said, their mounting position is screwed up and they also look too big.
ophidia31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

If they're not going to make the effort to have their public-facing marketing checked for accuracy and correctness, what does that say about their research and data behind the effectiveness of their product?

That grammar error was the third thing I saw when I loaded their page (without clicking on anything), after I saw the two animations. They have the correct grammar for the same word used at least six times on the same page.
I presume you're referring to the Airtabs site?

I wouldn't worry much about the grammar errors - this seems to be more and more common these days, even with big comapnies from whom you wouldn't expect it.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

any other links ???
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
any other links ???
Sure....

http://www.prfprod.com/

http://www.fuelsavers.com.au/
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8Brick View Post

those prfprod ones remind me of a fishes or reptiles scales. i wonder how those would work out placed in certain spots underneath the car.
ophidia31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidia31 View Post
those prfprod ones remind me of a fishes or reptiles scales. i wonder how those would work out placed in certain spots underneath the car.
Actually, they're very similar to VGs made by the 'Wheeler Co.' back in the '80s. 'IPD', a Volvo tuning company, used to sell them once upon a time. Back then, they were touted as a solution to make rear spoilers more functional on boxy Volvo sedans.....sound familiar?