grill blocking, does it work from the back? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
I blocked off the back of my grill on my truck, but every time an 18 wheeler passed me the wind blew the duct tape off.
try foil tape. it seems to adhere better.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:44 AM   #12
Registered Member

many cars have (fake)fog lights palces in fake grills at the lower edge of the bumper... most likely this is only for looks to give the car more character as there's no reason why fog lights can't be perfectly flush with the rest with the bumper, but on the other these will quickly fill op with high pressure pockets so perhaps the increase in dragg is small (especially since they may give a little downforce wich might aid stability). not that i like this setup, but perhaps sealed of cavities like the grill are not as bad as they look.

also another advantage of a grill block might be that with an open grill the air usually has to find it's way out again, wich may disturb undercar airflow even further

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
I blocked off the back of my grill on my truck, but every time an 18 wheeler passed me the wind blew the duct tape off.
I would have been behind that truck drafting it so it would stay on
Old 10-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

3M VHB Tape

I saw a Modern Marvels episode last night on "Sticky Stuff". They featured a powerful acrylic foam tape from 3M: the VHB Tape.

Apparently this stuff is weather resistant and is more structurally sound than rivets for impact and heat expansion.

Here's a link to the 3M product website.

The cost may be the limiter: the cheapest is about $1.25/yd. for the 1/4-inch wide, 15-MIL application. It goes up from there in tensile strength width, color, and thickness. With a range of -40 to 200F, this might be a good applicator for grille blocking environs.

RH77