Grille blocking suggestions? (Photos embedded) - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
While out driving testing the truck, and thinking about how I can't test the car because it's raining out and that will probably destroy the cardboard, I realized I could bring a spray bottle and squirt lines in the cardboard, making it easier to tear out if necessary. Also, I was definitely aware of the heat trick, I'd just prefer to avoid it...I hate sweating.

I'm definitely being careful with what I do to the car, for exactly the reasons you cited. I'm also being almost equally careful with the truck, because I can't afford to break it. I really need it to run and not cost repair money.

Thanks for the compliment. Let's hope I can do even better than I have.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Also, this has not blocked the transmission cooler at all, nor a rusty tall narrow radiator that I can't identify.
Sounds like you have the external oil cooler... GMC usually throws that in with the factory towing package...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I think you're right. I looked it up the first time I saw it a few weeks ago, and I figured it out then but I forgot it. That sounds like what I found. I do have the factory heavy duty towing package.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

I always make sure I get trucks with the towing package, even though I don't generally tow with them. I get the towing package for the tranny and oil coolers, and upgraded brakes. Tranny coolers help the transmissions last longer, and an oil cooler isn't a bad idea either. I like vehicles setup to maximize longevity, as I generally put at least 200,000 miles on a vehicle before I even consider replacing it. My 74 Chevy had over 300,000 miles on it when I sold it to my sister (And she drove it for a few more years after that!)

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #45
Registered Member

Ok, test-drove the VW. I tried everything to get the temp up and it didn't seem to have an effect. I EOC'd from 80mph (and figured once I turned the engine back on which would get the water pump flowing again, the previously stagnant coolant would be very hot after circulating for a few seconds). I ran 3rd all the way up to redline. Nothing.

I bought a Chinese knockoff ELM327 unit on eBay that doesn't work right and I was going to return it, but I forgot about it for awhile and it wouldn't be fair for me to demand the seller take it back now. It doesn't work with the GMC, and most software doesn't work with it, but I can get live data from the VW with it. I'll dig it up and use it to confirm the temperature gauge.