Hi and a question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi and a question

Hey guys, I'm new here. Found this site after getting a wild hair to work on the aero of my '92 LeBaron sedan. I've done a grille block and underpan so far (and not noticed the gains I was hoping ) and am looking to add some sort of wheel covering.

So, my question is, where to buy plastic sheet type stuff to make parts out of? So far I've been using 20ga steel sheeting. $14 for a 120"x20" roll of steel isn't bad but I'd like something lighter weight and more flexible especially for a tire spoiler. Any suggestions?

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
*shrug*

A sign store would be a good bet, a local home improvement store might have some, but not likely around where I am.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyes View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here. Found this site after getting a wild hair to work on the aero of my '92 LeBaron sedan. I've done a grille block and underpan so far (and not noticed the gains I was hoping ) and am looking to add some sort of wheel covering.

So, my question is, where to buy plastic sheet type stuff to make parts out of? So far I've been using 20ga steel sheeting. $14 for a 120"x20" roll of steel isn't bad but I'd like something lighter weight and more flexible especially for a tire spoiler. Any suggestions?
Hello and welcome to GasSavers.

I found some .060 solid plastic 4X8 sheet for $20 at Home Depot. It is in the wall paneling dept. I have used it for everything I have done to my car. Grille block, panel under engine, front and rear wheel skirts, tire air deflectors. It is tough and durable, quite flexible while stiff enough, comes white and can be painted. You should have seen some gain from your grille block. Make sure it is sealed well around the edges. If you have other openings in front(lower grille or bumper openings), seal those also. You should have no problem overheating in winter, I have mine blocked all the time. Some temperature rise is good, especially in winter. Enter your car info, picture and any gas log info into GS Garage. Makes it a little easier for anyone trying to help. CO ZX2
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

I got mine at a sign store. It was like $11 for a 4 x 8 sheet.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
aluminum would be alot lighter then steel, and easier to cut, any place that does welding, or truck repair should be able to get plane flat aluminum sheating for less then a home improvement store, altho some of them might want you to buy a whol 4x8' sheet.
you might also try a hoby store, or art/craft store for either thin (1/8" thick) ply wood, or plastic sheeting, wood might end up being lighter then plastic, and if you seal, and paint it it will be very durrable, and stiff.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to try some stores again. Never thought of plastic for a wall...

I put my DD in the garage. I keep a maintainence log for the vehicle that includes every fill up (old habbit my parents taught me) so I posted the last few months of data to the gas log. Possibly it is a bit too soon to be disappointed in my aero mods, but I kinda expected to see a difference after what should be such a major change. Maybe it has just been windier lately. I've currently got maybe 20in^2 of the grille open. I'm visually estimating that 80% of the main grille is blocked, and all of the lower one is covered. I guess it could seal better. Wet weather has left the cardboard a bit ratty around the edges. I am also slowly increasing the opening to where the radiator fan does not come on during a long hill I climb every day. Summers here are very taxing on a cooling system so I know I will have to at least double the area when things get over 100!

I guess I'm doing pretty well according to the EPA, but 99% of my driving consists of a 35 mile highway run to school at 65mph. I live less than 1/4 mile off the highway so the car sees only a mile or two of slow speed driving when I get to school. The drive does include a big 2000ft hill to climb, but the rest is cruise-controlled whenever possible. This is rural ID, so the roads are basically deserted by most peoples standards, lol.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote