Highway mileage on '98 Saturn SL2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Highway mileage on '98 Saturn SL2

Hi folks,

In the interest of improved fuel mileage, here are the changes that I have made to my Saturn to date.

First off, a K&N drop-in air filter. I have always seen at least +1 mph hwy from this.

Recently, I removed the front airdam (two pictures of factory air dam, one picture of my car without it, attached). I also moved the license plate up on the bumper to clear the air slots in the fascia. I've read an SAE study on how license plates block cooling air flow, and its not pretty. On a single, two-day, 280 mile round trip venture, I saw an increase of 2 mpg highway from just pulling this off (previous best 31 mpg, 33 this trip). For reference, the trip was A-B-A, A-B-A. I was pleasantly surprised to find a really neat diffuser within the front fascia, slowly introducing the air to the radiator. I plan to seal this duct to the radiator and put in an engine cover to further improve underbody flow. I also plan subtle front wheel deflectors, perhaps a 20mm lip on the rear edge of the trunk, and a hose from the unused driver side foglight cutout to the airbox. As this evolves, I'll post the results.

Since I recently packed the family in the PT Crusier for a 700+ mile jaunt to Myrtle Beach, I put a quick aero mod package together on that brick. I'll detail that in another post as I am able.

Again, cool site. It's nice to be able to share an interest that most people write off as, "making the car look weird!"

Bman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Saturn SL2 Airdam 2.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	21   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 Saturn No Airdam sm.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	22  
Attached Images

Bman83GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Good morning.
I'm new to the site, with a 2000 Saturn SL2. Although I ride my bike as much as I can, I still drive between 1500 and 1800 miles/month and look for ways to improve mpg.
Question for you Bman:
By removing your front air dam, do you see a coolant temperature increase at highway speeds? Or did moving the license plate solve that?

saturnsl2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

saturnsl2man: I have yet to see the temperature go up, either in stop-and-go city or highway. Of course, the airdam only would have effected highway use. I will feel more comfortable when I seal the duct to the radiator and install a new cover between the bottom of the front fascia and the front sway bar, but so far, so good.

Bman
Old 08-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

BTW: Great going on the bike riding thing. I started riding my bike to work one day a week. This is my second week. I had not been on my bike for 8+ years, so it needed a little work!

Bman
Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsl2man
Good morning.
I'm new to the site, with a 2000 Saturn SL2. Although I ride my bike as much as I can, I still drive between 1500 and 1800 miles/month and look for ways to improve mpg.
Question for you Bman:
By removing your front air dam, do you see a coolant temperature increase at highway speeds? Or did moving the license plate solve that?
I'm currently running a grill block with 2 4x12" holes and have no problems. I also have no aim dam. I recently drove the car to memphis 100 deegree temps running the a/c full blast and the temperature stayed completely normal. which for my car is steady halfway between the first quarter(left side of gauge) and center marks. For me the cooling fan kicks off right at the half mark which I believe is 205 deegrees.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi folks - an update on my pressurized air CAI:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102445

I have seen a 10-13% improvement in mileage (urban & highway) just from this intake modification. I know that there are a lot of people on mileage forums that espouse hot air, under-hood intakes. The CAI approach seems to be working for me.

Bman
Old 10-24-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

lovemysan -
I just followed the link to your pictures. GREAT aero work on the Saturn! I'll be spending some time with your pictures before I do any underbody fairing. Very cool!

OK - I just spent some time poring over the pictures and I am completely in awe. A full undertray! Wow! Any issues with heat / melting around the exhaust or muffler?

Bman
Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Supporting Member

No issues with heat so far. I drive gently and haven't had a problem yet. Do you have pictures/ description of your cAI setup.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Hi Bman83GL and saturnsl2man -

Welcome to GS! I have copied cheapybob's hot-air-intake. I have also covered most of my grill. If it gets too hot (mostly when stuck in traffic), I have implemented wolfman's fan radiator switch :

Manual Radiator Fan Switch
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23668

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
No issues with heat so far. I drive gently and haven't had a problem yet. Do you have pictures/ description of your cAI setup.
This link will get you there:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102445

Thanks again for posting all of the pictures of your undertray. I'm inspired! Did I read correctly that it is all aluminum sheet? That would help with heat, of course. I sounds like you've had a few dent encounters as well? I ask because I'm thinking of going with ABS sheet and either not getting near the exhaust or using aluminum sheet near the exhaust.

Bman