Is there any hope? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #21
Registered Member

OK crappy picture, but there is a big tiger mural on the back ! I will try to post better pictures

Peter

Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #22
Registered Member

Backup Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmistel View Post
OK crappy picture, but there is a big tiger mural on the back ! I will try to post better pictures

Peter
Not to mention, it looks like a Rear-View camera is back there too...

Old 03-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:

Peter
So you need for the big bubble on the rear to be transparent. No problem! :-)
Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I would imagine that the underside of something like this vehicle is already extreamly smooth, after all the engine is in the rear, right? so why would they creat a bumpy underside?
tires should be 80-100psi tires, you might be able to find some low rolling resistance tires, altho tires for that thing at all are going to be hundreds of dollars each I suspect, I like the hub cap idea, the moon hub caps might work, but remember to cover the back side of the wheel as well, not just the part you see.
not sure if air tabs are enough, you have a flat rear end that is like a wall for air to come around, get some discounted plastic christmas trees, and plant them with the tips pointing back, the needles will grab the passing air, and pull it in, creating a rear boat tail in the air, reducing uncontroled rear turbulance.
of course the biggest thing you can do to improve your mileage, is ask your self the question "why not stay where I am"
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
The worst thing about campers that I've noticed (other than the huge frontal area) is all the CRAP sticking out all over! Look on top- there's probably one or two big ol' a/c units up there, plus luggage racks, ladders, skylights, antennas, huge mirrors, brackets for this 'n' that... all that junk is certainly creating turbulence over and above the form drag that the square box already has.
Seconded. Maybe some kind of spoiler or cover to move the air around all that stuff? I coulda swore I saw a chopped RV the other day, but maybe it was just my eyes playing tricks. I can think of worse uses for a rolled salvage title.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #26
Registered Member

Two things are needed:
1, a sign painted on the rear reading: "Caution Tandem Trailer"
2, A grapple on the front to hook onto the ICC bar of the semi trailer ahead.

O.K.,
2.5, a willingness to arrive where ever the semi unknowingly tows you.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 AM   #27
Registered Member

The underside of an RV is an an aerodynamic nightmare, since it is a mismash of water and holding tanks, the undersides of the "basement" storage bins, various framing members, etc., so underbody panelling would help a lot. Also wheel well skirts, wheel spoilers, front and side skirts, and low drag fairings around the AC unit, skylights, and canopy struts. Also the interior of a sturdily designed tail cone could be be used for additional storage space (which is always at a premium on an RV).
Old 03-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #28
Registered Member

Another area for drag reduction would be the radiator. If they also made your RV in a version with a gasoline engine, they probably sized the radiator intake for the worst case heat output for the gas engine. Since a diesel engine produces less heat for the same power output than a gas engine, you could probably get away with a smaller radiator intake. The thing to do would be to start taping over parts of the intake with clear packing tape until you start to see a temperature rise on your engine's temp gauge (then open up the intake somewhat at that point). After you have determined your engine's exact intake air cooling requirement under your worst case driving situation of hot days and/or steep climbs, you can make a permanent grill block for the intake. A further refinement of the grill block would be to install louvers in the grill block that you could adjust from your driver's seat to reflect current cooling requirement (similar to adjusting cowl flaps on an aircraft).
Old 06-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #29
Registered Member

This is probably a dead thread by now. These have sort of been mentioned elsewhere but this is something to consider.

These look way better than golf ball tape. This might be legitimate.

http://airtab.com/

http://airtab.com/video.htm
Old 06-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't really want it to look too freaky, so no nose cone or giant wings!
Peter
Crap, there goes my grafting a Corvette nose cone idea. What about small wings?

Seriously, at the speeds that you'll be driving (most of these that I see are going something like 55-60 the big square nose probably won't be as big of an issue as you might think. The trick will be to reduce the other "parasitic" drags; from the wheels/tires, tire/road friction and the underside of the vehicle. I see in the photo that that particular one has rear mud flaps. Be a shame if they just like fell off and you got better mileage....

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote