My new aero mods (pics) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

Wow!

Nice looking clean job. Have you seen an increase in MPG? I am looking into the aero mod stuff now. Heat gun.... good Idea.

MrGiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
Did you measure the sound levels or did you just use your ears?

I really want to do this mod as well.
I used my ears.

holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiff View Post
Nice looking clean job. Have you seen an increase in MPG? I am looking into the aero mod stuff now. Heat gun.... good Idea.
2-3 mpg increase on hwy and longer costings. Good look building your own bellypan
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
2-3 mpg increase on hwy and longer costings. Good look building your own bellypan
Cool
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
What other thin light weight materials would you guys recommend?
I'm a distributor of Coroplast as well as other products for the signage industry. When I read that holypaulie used Coroplast, the first thing I thought of was the heat effecting the product. Plus, the mounting of the product to the car. (Which was very impressive looking). As for other products to consider, .040 Aluminum since the heat won't effect that product and you could bend it. Good thing about Coroplast, it's cheap and easy to cut. There are other plastic products you could look at like HDPE, Poly Pro or ABS, but all will be effected by heat since they are thermal product.

Not sure about DiBond, a aluminum / plastic composite, I would still fear the heat aspect of it...
ConnRadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnRadd View Post
I'm a distributor of Coroplast as well as other products for the signage industry. When I read that holypaulie used Coroplast, the first thing I thought of was the heat effecting the product. Plus, the mounting of the product to the car. (Which was very impressive looking). As for other products to consider, .040 Aluminum since the heat won't effect that product and you could bend it. Good thing about Coroplast, it's cheap and easy to cut. There are other plastic products you could look at like HDPE, Poly Pro or ABS, but all will be effected by heat since they are thermal product.

Not sure about DiBond, a aluminum / plastic composite, I would still fear the heat aspect of it...
Hell, you probably could use that cheap Luan plywood available at HD and Lowe's.

Problem with anything other than Coroplast is if it falls off the car. You can hit/run over Coroplast without hurting the car. I'm afraid of a wood (or metal) cover somehow coming loose or coming off, and hurting my car or someone else.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
Hell, you probably could use that cheap Luan plywood available at HD and Lowe's.

Problem with anything other than Coroplast is if it falls off the car. You can hit/run over Coroplast without hurting the car. I'm afraid of a wood (or metal) cover somehow coming loose or coming off, and hurting my car or someone else.

True, minimal damage could happen with Coroplast. But, it's not a solid product which can tear or come off easily...
Old 06-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnRadd View Post
True, minimal damage could happen with Coroplast. But, it's not a solid product which can tear or come off easily...
Do you know of a good source of this Coroplast, short of taking those for sale signs

is this anything equivalent Coroplast?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you know of a good source of this Coroplast, short of taking those for sale signs

In Scotland??? not sure...

Coroplast is a Brand name, a generic name would be Fluted Ploypro (polypropylene). I would look for a Plastic Distributor or Sign Suppliers that distribute the product in your area. As for cost of Coroplast vs to other substrates, it's hard to beat the Coroplast price. Cost for a 4mm 48 x 96 Sheet would be around $8 to $10.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:

I forget the name of the stuff in that part of the world, suggest you look into radio control airplanes. Many of the newer "ready to fly" electric R/C airplanes are made of it, and some beginner R/C sailplanes have wings/stabilizers made from it (although the fuselages are usually EPP).

I'm sure after a few minutes of digging around you will find the name of it and R/C suppliers who sell it.

dosco is offline   Reply With Quote