Observations about funny cars - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Observations about funny cars

We can learn by looking at a variety of motor sport. Drag race funny cars are an example.
1. Over the past several years, front and rear wheel openings have become smaller and biased toward the rear. The front of the opening is close to the tire and the back is spaced to the rear.

2. The back of wheel openings are getting more radiused so air can exit the under car and to not "catch" air flowing past the wheel opening.

3. Front, and sometimes rear, wheel openings have a "Gurney" lip from the lower front edge to the top of the opening. Similar to the Corvette Z-06, I think.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

Yeah, motorsport has some really creative people that have the ability to make and test improvements.

Pondering my sons matchbox cars, it appears that funny cars do not emphasize downforce as much as say F1 cars, they are very sleek though, similar in many respects to a speed record vehicle.

bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
Yeah, motorsport has some really creative people that have the ability to make and test improvements.

Pondering my sons matchbox cars, it appears that funny cars do not emphasize downforce as much as say F1 cars, they are very sleek though, similar in many respects to a speed record vehicle.
f1 doesnt care about the coefficient of drag, funny cars do. funny cars don't turn, f1 cars do. you are comparing apples to orange juice, they are very very different.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

f1 cars want some downforce so they can keep the front and rear on the ground
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
f1 cars want ridiculous amounts of downforce so they can keep the front and rear on the ground
i fixed it.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

Drag Racing

We may be able to learn the most about drag racing -- airflow is implied in the name, at least.

Honestly though, too much lift makes the vehicle unstable at the limit -- it still has to go straight. Too much downforce is a waste of horsepower.

Clearly, the goal for GS vehicles is to make highway speeds more efficient -- so drag racing, or top-speed (Bonneville Salt Flats) kinda stuff seems appropriate.

Is it possible to take a showroom stock vehicle and make it "Interstate Unstable" with a few aero changes? Probably not. So F1 seems to be out for the most part.

The only road-based aero disaster of recent years has been the first-gen Audi TT. At Autobahn speeds, the rear tended to break loose and a few bad accidents happened. Those were recalled and a lip spoiler added -- same with all models moving forward. Solved the problem at 120+ MPH. That's at un-FE-like speeds, tho...

RH77
Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
The only road-based aero disaster of recent years has been the first-gen Audi TT. At Autobahn speeds, the rear tended to break loose and a few bad accidents happened. Those were recalled and a lip spoiler added
Rode past one of these bespoilered beasties parked on the street today and thought of just that story. If I had one, I'd take it off

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote