Question about Air Flow Seperation... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question Question about Air Flow Seperation...

I just got in my VG's for my Cube. I know where they mount and how they mount on a regular car, but what about on a box like my Cube, xB, Element, etc, etc...?

I'm not holding my breath on how much these will help if at all, but I at least want to install them in the proper location.

Any ideas, suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
DRW
Registered Member

Does your Cube have any sort of wing, lip, or spoiler at the top of the hatch?
If so, don't put any on top. I think there's a Honda CRV on here that used VG on the side to minimal effect. I'd mount them approx 4" ahead of the trailing edge, or 4" ahead of the point where airflow separates from the side-rear of your Cube.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
Does your Cube have any sort of wing, lip, or spoiler at the top of the hatch?
If so, don't put any on top. I think there's a Honda CRV on here that used VG on the side to minimal effect. I'd mount them approx 4" ahead of the trailing edge, or 4" ahead of the point where airflow separates from the side-rear of your Cube.
Nope! It has none of the above. I did install them today though finally.

The way the ridges line up on the roof, I had no choice but to only use 8 of the 10 supplied VG's. You'll see what I'm talking about when you see the pics below. I also plan on purchasing one of those "Shark Fin Antenna's" to replace the stock antenna, and I'll most likely be getting rid of the Sirius/XM Radio altogether as they have a very small music selection that is constantly repeated and sounds like crap. Half the time, it has the sound quality of an AM tuner! I just stream Soma.FM off my iPhone via Bluetooth on my stereo.

I'll take better pics with my SLR later today.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Looks like a pretty significant lip around the sunken-in rear window, but maybe it's not aerodynamically useful.

I love Soma.FM but its quality was always worse than Sirius and XM were when I had them. It's been a long time since I've listened to any of them, I use Slacker now...I even have a portable Slacker.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Looks like a pretty significant lip around the sunken-in rear window, but maybe it's not aerodynamically useful.

I love Soma.FM but its quality was always worse than Sirius and XM were when I had them. It's been a long time since I've listened to any of them, I use Slacker now...I even have a portable Slacker.
Not too sure what you mean by "sunken-in". It's pretty smooth and flush. At any rate, I have better pics uploading to my site as we speak, so I'll post a few in a couple minutes when they get done.

And Slacker? Never heard of that one. What is it?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
In the photo, it looks like the rear window is at least an inch forward of the rear sheet metal, with a bevel leading to it.

Slacker is most easily compared to Pandora, which most people have heard of. You name a song or band you want to hear, it plays that song or band, then it plays stuff that was approved by other people who liked your song. You can favorite or ban a song, request an artist, fine-tune by age, popularity, or by playing more/less of songs you've already favorited.

I never liked Pandora because it mostly didn't play what I felt like hearing; it would choose some silly musical component of a song I asked for and play other songs with the same component (usually "partial rhythmic syncopation" was what it cited as the reason it chose a song, but I wanted to hear something relaxing or twangy or jazzy or something with loud drums or whatever). Slacker works much better for me.

They also offer a portable device that stores 2GB of music from your custom Slacker stations and plays it portably. Since you have an iPhone you can use use their free iPhone client instead.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
In the photo, it looks like the rear window is at least an inch forward of the rear sheet metal, with a bevel leading to it.

Slacker is most easily compared to Pandora, which most people have heard of. You name a song or band you want to hear, it plays that song or band, then it plays stuff that was approved by other people who liked your song. You can favorite or ban a song, request an artist, fine-tune by age, popularity, or by playing more/less of songs you've already favorited.

I never liked Pandora because it mostly didn't play what I felt like hearing; it would choose some silly musical component of a song I asked for and play other songs with the same component (usually "partial rhythmic syncopation" was what it cited as the reason it chose a song, but I wanted to hear something relaxing or twangy or jazzy or something with loud drums or whatever). Slacker works much better for me.

They also offer a portable device that stores 2GB of music from your custom Slacker stations and plays it portably. Since you have an iPhone you can use use their free iPhone client instead.
Cool! Thanks for the Slacker info. Gonna check them out in a few.

Also, here's the better pics I promised.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and was thinking about some of the vortex generators for it. The website for the the brand Vortekz says to put them about 100mm in front of the highest point (or where the airflow starts downward). However, on the Sonata, the highest point is about in the middle of the roof. This would put the VGs on top of the sunroof.

Would they still be effective if I were to put them at the back of the roof?

Has anyone REALLY noticed a measurable difference using them (even 2%-5%)?

I also saw Airtabs which look to be quite larger (for tractor trailers). Would these (or the other VGs) be of benefit on the lower side behind the rear wheels or at the tail of the trunk?

Thanks
soyelmocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyelmocano View Post
I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and was thinking about some of the vortex generators for it. The website for the the brand Vortekz says to put them about 100mm in front of the highest point (or where the airflow starts downward). However, on the Sonata, the highest point is about in the middle of the roof. This would put the VGs on top of the sunroof.

Would they still be effective if I were to put them at the back of the roof?

Has anyone REALLY noticed a measurable difference using them (even 2%-5%)?

I also saw Airtabs which look to be quite larger (for tractor trailers). Would these (or the other VGs) be of benefit on the lower side behind the rear wheels or at the tail of the trunk?

Thanks
To be more accurate, airtabs should be placed 100mm ahead of where airflow separates. Does your car look like this?

If so, it already has a nice gentle sloping rear glass. I can't say for sure, but it looks like airflow should remain attached until the lip on the trunk. I would not put them on top of the roof! That would be worse as your car already has a nice aero shape.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

Other than being nice and clean, that looks like my car (same color) though mine is the v6.

So, would you recommend any at the end of the trunk and/or at the bottom rear sides?

Currently I do not have any drastic modifications, though I did recently put in a K&N filter, some of the plasma plugs (maybe 1.5 to 2 MPG better - not much but everything helps), overinflated tires, and switched to Mobile1 synthetic. I get about 25.5 MPG average with mixed driving in Atlanta. I want to get to 30MPG.

soyelmocano is offline   Reply With Quote