Quick release windshield wiper ideas? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
rain-x

I know for a fact rain-x works wonders for a windshield....above 45 mph.

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #12

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...n-427496-pos-1

There is a quick search on google images for a wiper cowl cover. Looks pretty simple to install on a truck anyway

Not sure if it would attach to the hood or the plastic base under the wipers on a metro. It would take some playing around with some stiff plastic to get something that seems about right. If I rounded up some materials and had time I could probably make up something using either roofing tin or hard plastic. I probably won't actually get into doing it on my car though since it seems like rust is starting to eat away the unibody so the next major thing I do aerodynamically to my metro is probably put the drivetrain into a can am style kit car of some sort.

CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Hello me -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
theclencher -

(writing about wiper arms without wipers damaging window glass)

That's why I haven't done it. Hmmmmmmm, , but maybe I could remove the wiper fuse and thereby disable the wipers! To re-install, turn off car, insert fuse, turn on car !

CarloSW2
I just checked. My (25 Amp) wiper fuse is inside my car. I could make it even more slick by connecting a 25 Amp car switch wired into where the fuse is inserted. That way, I wouldn't even have to remove the panel to activate the wipers. Still have to be carefull, though. Maybe a "failsafe" covered switch to look even slicker.

Would a "switch" harm the function of the fuse panel? I ask because accidently turning on the switch would be the same as inserting a fuse into the panel while the car is running.

With the wiper/fuse switch option, I would be stuck with the wiper arms. At a minimum, I would cover the ends with vacuum plugs to protect the glass.

Hmmmmmmm. How about this? I *could* devise some sort of "aero-wiper-cowl" to cover the arms, and use the wiper blade connector to fasten them on. Ideally, the air would flow over the cowl in a clean manner. Worst case would be that the air stream gets under the cowl and pulls up the wiper arm. The goal is that the spring in the wiper arm would be strong enough to keep the cowl snug on the freeway. The definition of "snug" in this case would be maybe 80 MPH or less.

Random thought. Is this an opportunity for Vortex Generators on the cowls?

I am imagining "green leafy" cowl shapes in my head (long/thin, tapering on each end), but I am sure something else would be better. Maybe just black rubbery plastic cut and fitted to take advantage of where the wiper arm lies on the cusp of the hood/window.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Registered Member

Man, lots of thought going into this wiper question for probably un-measurable gains.

So far, I think the wing nut and full arm removal idea seems the simplest compromise.

I'm actually currently using the wing nut method to snug my alternator down, so I can de/install the belt without tools.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
something to remember, past the safty issue of hitting a mud puddle, and not being able to see anything, is that if you get pulled over for any reason (out of date plates, dim tail light, weird looking car) and they notice you don't have wipers installed, you will get a ticket.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:32 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
use a strip of magnetic sign material to cover the wipers and deflect air over them - usually the air flow over the blades are minimal as the air damns up against that part of the windshield - try to park them lower or extend the hood over them.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Ryland -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
something to remember, past the safty issue of hitting a mud puddle, and not being able to see anything, is that if you get pulled over for any reason (out of date plates, dim tail light, weird looking car) and they notice you don't have wipers installed, you will get a ticket.
Well, that's just a kick in the teeth (metaphorically speaking).

It probably is the law in California that you must have working wipers at all times because of the possible road hazard issue.

Question : Is there a car today or in the past that has been able to hide it's wipers from the airstream?

CarloSW2

Old 10-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #18
Supporting Member

JanGeo -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
use a strip of magnetic sign material to cover the wipers and deflect air over them - usually the air flow over the blades are minimal as the air damns up against that part of the windshield - try to park them lower or extend the hood over them.
That would probably be the way to go. Something that attaches to the hood that extends up and over but does not interfere with the wipers. functional and legal. In an ideal world you would be a ble to adapt one of those sunroof deflectors or bug shields like this :

The key is finding the bug deflector that is closest to your shape of where "hood meets window", so to speak.

PS - If there is enough clearance, over time you could add little "outside hood gauges" like they have on the old 1960's GTO's and stuff. They would hide under the deflector and give you real-time data on EVERY aspect of your car.

CarloSW2

Old 10-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
Lots of GM cars in the 70's had "hideaway" wipers that parked under the trailing edge of the hood. My buddy's '68 Vette has a compartment that holds the wipers; there is a lid that opens and closes over it- neat!

Just mount the driver's side wiper when the threat of that killer puddle may be present.
Ooooooh, yeah! There's another compromise that should also be close-to-legal. just remove the passenger side wiper. That would be a 50% aero-savings.

CarloSW2

Old 10-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #20
Supporting Member

Ta-Dah!

Found it here :

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/lun...wiper_cowl.htm

There may be lots of "adaptable plastic" here for other projects. I wish they had specs on the shape of the plastics.

Gotta getta Lund!

CarloSW2