Results with camera mirrors? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #1

Results with camera mirrors?

Has anyone replaced their mirrors with cameras and LCDs? I am definitely interested in anyone's stories. Looking to put these on a CRX. Remember that the HF has no passenger mirror, either, so this would actually increase safety significantly.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Any legislation been passed by the Fed allowing cameras in place of side mirrors yet? Most state laws follow the Fed law, defining a side mirror on a passenger vehicle as a reflective surface of at least 19.5 square inches, blah blah blah. I don't think they've been specifically permitted here.

Just curious. Most things like this are a process led by the O.E.M.'s., like halogen headlights were, back in the day. Slow to change and bunches of tickets for those ahead of the curve.

Technically any video screen forward of the rear seat area is a no-no as well.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #3

So that means no GPS (TomTom & such) or cel phones? My cel phone has a 640x480 LCD video screen, truly.

Where can I look this up? I've seen articles where people have replaced their mirrors with cameras, so this is why I want to find out how & of course look at the laws too.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Exactly. Unless it's been superceded recently any video screen is technically illegal if it's in view of the driver. It may not be enforced, but I think it's still true. More recently these things fall into "distracted driving" statutes.

We're talking SIDE vision mirrors here, which are required nationally at least on the driver's side, and pretty much only defined as a MIRROR as near as I can tell.

Minor issue, but I wonder about it. So far no O.E.M. has them. Backup cameras are an option on some motorhomes and SUV's but technically they aren't required to have rear view mirrors, only side mirrors. Their monitors may still be illegal.

I want them, but even I have concerns about the safety of them if you're looking at your dash for info rather than turning your head to look before you turn or change lanes. You often pick up things in the process that didn't appear in your mirrors initially. Gonna take some retraining at first. Won't be soccermom proof.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #5

Oh, I would be looking at putting something in where I could basically have the display on the inside, and in the spots where the mirror would normally be seen, NOT looking at the dash. Basically would be mirror images just like a regular mirror, etc.

Anyone know the federal regulations so I can look them up? Also anywhere that I could look for exemptions?

I live in WV if that's any help.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #6

According to the various state laws (cannot find Federal wording yet) - if it's a driving enhancement it CAN be used - can't be used for TV, business, entertainment or video.

California Law: - exception is "A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle."

section 27602. (a)

I found that the HF with no passenger mirror is illegal in Pennsylvania.

So I wonder if I could install a reflective strip on the outside of the vehicle to comply with the mirrors (think narrow and TALL - along the edge of the window, just outside of it), and install LCD "mirrors" to comply?

I know that several high-mileage vehicles have been modified with cameras - have come across that phrase a lot - just wanting to know what real-world results people have found?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

"......enhance or supplement", not "take the place of". Big difference.

Yer still gonna have to have a mirror, as does every passenger vehicle. This what I was getting at earlier.

It is nice to know that the displays are now legal, at least for this purpose.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #8

WV just says you need a rear facing mirror. So the interior rear view mirror covers the law here

You could take both side mirrors off and put a mirror inside the door. I did that to my passenger side and it isn't quite as good as the outside mirror but it is good enough. I haven't taken my drivers side off yet. I probably will on my new car though.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #9

Coyote - where are you located? Always up for a gassavers get-together. =)

Can you tell me which specific law states interior mirror? Vehicle code here is hard to search. VERY interested.

If I get an HF I was thinking of putting a camera mirror on the right side for starters - but will move the driver's mirror inside in a second if I can. Neat thing (AFAIK) is that if it's licensed in WV then if I drive it in any other state it should be legal, correct?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
Registered Member

Assuming you don't have to have exterior mirrors, you might consider a multi-panel mirror like the Wink mirrors. They provide a far better view behind than any stock interior mirror and are dirt cheap compared to video.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote