--- "vortekz" Generators Tested!! --- Pictures!! - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The main idea of getting the air to flow over the rear window is to increase the air pressure on it so you don't have a low pressure area sucking on the back window slowing you down.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I wonder which is better, these or the ones that look like they have little NACA ducts
Those are called air tabs. These are MUCH better since they have much less frontal area- all that frontal area negate any .cd gain.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #43
Registered Member

Well that is really cool.

Where did you buy them? You said they were 20 dollars but where did you get them?

Im sorry if this has been discussed.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #44
Registered Member

vortex non functional

vortex generators seems like a issue that will not die,,,,,,,,,,,i agree fully that along with the spoiler they create excessive drag and apply much too much down force................i ran vortex generators for three months they have about much use a a chromed dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudAccord View Post
They actually won't do anything for your miles per gallon. You will spend more on these "generators" than what you will save in gas. They are only used to direct air towards a spoiler to create more downforce...

since I see a spoiler, you're going to generate more drag leading to worse miles per gallon. Here is the demonstration on how the generator was come about for the EVO and the window spoiler on the 06/07 STI:

As you can see, the rear window spoiler works better in getting the air where it needs to be. It is also measured by downforce seen here:

The EVO has 46.86LBS of front end lift and 9.68LBS of rear end lift at 90MPH, at 124 MPH it has 90.42LBS of front end lift and 18.7LBS fo rear end lift.

The STI has 57.64LBS of front end lift and 38.06LBS of rear end downforce at 90MPH, at 124MPH it has 111.1LBS of front end lift and 73.26LBS of downforce

So the answer is to actually get rid of your generator and your wing if you're trying to get better miles per gallon.
crexcrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #45
Registered Member

zig zag tape??

The intent it to divert the air from the front off to the sides of the vehicle not underneath...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRinger View Post
Every time I'm driving along and come to a nice flat section of road, I start looking at my scangauge.
After a while, I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting about 33 highway..

My latest experiment is Giant Zig-Zag tape..
It's new to me, but I think ZZ tape is a type of VG strip also called turbulator tape. Or, maybe it just works like dimples in a golf ball..

Got to take a few road trips this week to see if it's doing anything.
crexcrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #46
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by crexcrex View Post
vortex generators seems like a issue that will not die,,,,,,,,,,,i agree fully that along with the spoiler they create excessive drag and apply much too much down force................i ran vortex generators for three months they have about much use a a chromed dipstick
... dont mean to be confrontational, but i dont believe you. what was the application and what were the results? "not good" doesnt count.