--- "vortekz" Generators Tested!! --- Pictures!! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation --- "vortekz" Generators Tested!! --- Pictures!!

THEY WORK!! NOW READ ON!

I used tuft testing to see the improvement or lack of from these very famous vortex "vortekz" generators.

I used 4" pieces of yarn-like string, and applied them all over the rear window.

The car used is a 2007 Mazda 6i. The car does have a complete front grill block. Aside from that it is not lowered, or altered in any other aerodynamic way.

The Procedure;

I drove on a somewhat flat road, at ONLY 45MPH. (held with cruise control so speed was constant. There were also no crosswinds. The pictures are going BOTH ways of the road; again, to minimize any crosswind effect).

I concluded that even a small change in the tuft will mean a much bigger change on the highway at 60+ MPH velocities.

Also, this testing was done just earlier this morning, and the testing was done about 3 hours or so appart from each other (the time it took me to add the "vortekz" generators). So the conditions of the day, or the weather, could have and did not dramatically change.

Now, this is BEFORE THE "VORTEKZ" GENERATORS

Here I marked the strings RED so that they would be more visible.

NOTICE how the strings in the middle of the windshield appear to be in A LOT of turbulence. They even twist back towards the front! This means that the air is separating from the window and coming back the other way towards the front; creating turbulence.

Again, this is only at 45mph so the effect at higher speeds would be much much greater.

"Vortekz" Generators Applied

I placed them following the instructions, with the suggested (0, 5, 10, 15 , 15) degree placements.

In order for them to stick better I heated the 3m tape on both sides with a hair dryer for about 15 seconds. And let me tell you, I do not see how these could come off anytime soon!

They were sticking without even any pressure being applied to them! They are constructed very well and painted perfect (i got the painted version not the primered one).

They actually look really really good (I Think), and if they didnt work I would probably still keep them for looks

TESTING WITH THE "VORTEKZ" GENERATORS ON

Same road, same wind conditions, same 45mph speed. NOTHING was changed except the addition of the vortex generators.

Here I marked the strings RED so that they would be more visible.

NOTE how the turbulence in the middle of the window is gone! Completley gone! All the strings face the same way they should have in the first place and (not apparent in the pictures) they were actually "tighter" indicating that they had faster wind speed over them.

Conclusion

THEY WORK! Even at 45mph they did a great job of straightening the flow out throughout the whole window and most importantly in the middle of the window where the most turbulence was being caused.

When i started driving, I was completley amazed to see such a big change. I was NOT expecting these huge results- considering i was only going 45mph I was truly amazed, truly amazed.

NOW! My observations from this is that, obviously, they will work even better at higher speeds. So the simple $20 purchase in this case was more than worth it. How this reduced turbulence adds up to greater FE... that I don't know for sure but less turbulence has to be greater FE right?!? More aerodynamic?!?

Notes!

Not because it worked on my car will they work on every other car!!

I think that as long as the rear slant of the rear window is somewhat like my car the results could be similar.

However, i just dont see it working on hatchback designs or trucks or the suck. Why? Well, these vortex generators are designed to keep the airflow attatched to the car, but if there is no more car like in the case of hatchbacks or trucks or suv's, then what is the airflow going to attatch to?

I think in that case they would probably just create more drag, and you could not really test them unless you were in a wind tunnel.

ONE LAST COMPARISON. LOOK AT THE TURBULENCE IN THE MIDDLE JUST DISSAPPEAR!

^No Vortex Generators

^Vortex Generators

Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Excellent presentation. If you had a scangauge or maybe a series of tanks with VG and without, we could then see if they affect fuel efficiency or not.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
azraelswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Nice data! Great job with that. I wouldn't yet conclude that they work, not until you've observed a fuel economy increase trend.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

^^ Of course. And I will keep an eye on that and extrapolate from my next gas tanks to see the effect.

But hey, at least they look good

I already had someone ask me what they are hahah I can't wait to go to the gas station and have people staring...
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Awesome work!! I was considering vortex generators to improve the aerodynamics of my '95 Civic hatchback, and I'm glad you made the point that they are not likely to work on a hatchback.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

I installed some Vortekz on my 2003 Camry:

And here is a photo showing how well they are working:

If you look closely, you will see that the sawtooth pattern extends clear across the back window, indicating that the airflow is now conforming to the window. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

I am on my first tank of gas with the Vortekz installed, so I can't really say anything about mileage yet. I have been averaging a little over 36mpg for the last 8 tankfuls, so I will be interested to see if I get a little boost from them.

This is a very helpful site. Keep up the good work!

Chris
comitatus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

You guys rock. I have been considering putting some on my contour, which has a similar "contour" on the rear window as your sedans. I am encouraged by seeing your results so far and can't wait to see if you notice any mileage difference. Putting forth the effort to make before and after pics is what makes this form so great! Thanks for the great work.

Please make sure you post back with your next few tank results!

Mr_C
GasSavers_Mr_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comitatus1 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I installed some Vortekz on my 2003 Camry:

And here is a photo showing how well they are working:

If you look closely, you will see that the sawtooth pattern extends clear across the back window, indicating that the airflow is now conforming to the window. Pretty cool, if you ask me.
It rained last night here in San Antonio, and I actually saw the same thing. I could see the dropplets coming down with speed and when it stopped raining there were streaks in the back window instead of just static drops of water (like when you wash the car).

I also noticed that the front windshield was doing that as well a lot more since the addition of my front grill block; indicating that there was more airflow now coming through the top of the car.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Very compelling evidence. I like it!

What about mounting them to the front section of the hood?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

Awesome data!!!! Thanks SO much for posting this....

tweakmenow is offline   Reply With Quote