Windshield wipers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ranana_Zess
Windshield wipers

Anyone know what would cause windshield wipers to "stutter" before they go all the way back down? The wipers on my girlfriends car, when you shut them off, go down then up/down/up a few inches then go all the way down. Any ideas what would cause this?

I believe they also dont go all the way up either...not quite sure.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Registered Member

Is this only while driving or at rest as well?

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Registered Member

I've seen cars where they have a lower park position than the area they sweep while working...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

mine have a lower "rest" position as mentioned.

when they are wiping they move up about an inch or so and they wipe. they don't come all the way down when on. once I cut them completely off, they stop at the higher position, hesitate for a second or so, then settle back down in the lower position.

I don't know if this is what you (RZ) are experiencing but that is a regular thing on my car.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

A lot of GM cars did that back then. My Buick has the hidden wipers, my 1980 Pontiac did, and my 74 Chevy did. My 86 Chevy and my 98 GMC do not. I think GM was doing it more for aesthetic reasons than aerodynamic. To hide the "ugly" wipers.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranana_Zess View Post
Anyone know what would cause windshield wipers to "stutter" before they go all the way back down? The wipers on my girlfriends car, when you shut them off, go down then up/down/up a few inches then go all the way down. Any ideas what would cause this?

I believe they also dont go all the way up either...not quite sure.
I assume you aren't talking about "recessed" wipers.

Frequently a stuttering wiper is caused by age & usage- over time, some of the things that hold the wiper in place (arms, linkages, etc.) begin to wear (by only microns), and these extra gaps will allow the wiper to stutter during movement. On my 40-year old Buick, this happens too much but new wiper assemblies aren't available from the dealer...

-Bob C.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranana_Zess View Post
The wipers on my girlfriends car, when you shut them off, go down then up/down/up a few inches then go all the way down.
What kind of car is it?

I hate the way wipers are programmed to operate way too intelligently for their own good. So many have complicated startup/parking sequences like that (I also hate when printers do the same sort of thing), squirters that don't squirt until after the wiper has already smeared and scratched the glass and then the wiper continues smearing for 10 strokes after you quit squirting, wipers that come back for one last swipe 30 seconds after you've turned them off, etc.

Some day I'm going to put together my own wiper control system and fit it to every vehicle I own.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
A lot of GM cars did that back then. My Buick has the hidden wipers, my 1980 Pontiac did, and my 74 Chevy did. My 86 Chevy and my 98 GMC do not. I think GM was doing it more for aesthetic reasons than aerodynamic. To hide the "ugly" wipers.

-Jay
yea our 86 celebrity did this. would raise an inch or two then go normal wipers then when u turned em off they went back down kinda lol. i say kinda cuz the blades hid but the arm and pivot point was way up there where you could see it very easily
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post

-Jay
I know my dad's 04 Impala's were hidden in the hood
GasSavers_Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I got an idea for wipers. What about just lowering their parking position?

After getting my windshield replaced (hooray!), my drivers side wiper was a little too high. I adjusted it down but didn't tighten the wiper arm nut enough and it crept up. So last night in blowing wet snow I hurriedly did it again, and in my haste I put it way too low.

Now my drivers side wiper is almost like it's hidden. I doubt it will ever have a measurable effect on fuel economy, but it's free, it doesn't attract attention, and I like having less of it in my view. The only downside is that its stroke ends that much earlier, so in snow I now have 3 inches of snow bunching up at the edge instead of 2.