$1M media blitz by automakers to oppose CAFE increase! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic6 View Post
Do we really want our govt. regulating what we drive?!!!!!!! As I tell my older daughter when she asks what happens when we run out of oil, which according to the Chicago Science Museum is about 75 years in the US. Why not use it? We went to gas when the old source of energy became to expensive. We'll change when that time comes again. I work in the industry and with emissions and cafe. GM has more cars that break the 30mpg mark than any other auto supplier. ( Yes much of it is duplicates) still pretty good. All that changes in a year as more realistic cafe comes into play. Wait and see what the Prius will be rated at then, way down. Please don't ask that the goverment tell us what to drive!!! Their preference would be no cars at all. They don't do to well in anything they do!
I don't think the issue is the government telling us what to drive, I think it's creating regulations to prevent or environment and economy from taking a nose-dive because everyone in this country has a false assumption that the christian god gave them a right to pollute the world beyond salvation without regard for the other 6 billion people that currently live on it.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

So we should stop all developing nations that are becoming mobile?? Are you willing to pay for even cleaner cars, for exotic building materials. No bumping anything in the ECM because that would be breaking the rules. Some of our regualtors activly say no mods at all! Most of the vehs. in the garage forum seem to be used. Are we really in a position to set policy for others. Yes we need to try and Yes greed will always be with us. It is a fact that we could do much better with regualtions at the filling stations for emissions while filling up, wonder why we don't do that? Your lawn mower emits more fumes sitting in a week then a new car does in months. Were does it stop? Were going to regulate our selves to death. Enough with my soap box I'm done.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

Now back to the real work at hand updating the jelly bean to 14" tires.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Hey, who sucked all the air out of the room?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

from www.DriveCongress.com
Oppose Unrealistic Fuel Economy Increases
Contact Your Senator Today!

In the next few weeks the U.S. Senate will consider legislation that could significantly increase the cost of new vehicles and limit the number of models available to consumers. This legislation would set a average car and light truck fuel economy standard of 52 mpg by 2030 more than doubling the current standard.
HEY, IT IS ABOUT TIME WE INCREASE THE CAFE STANDARD..........BUT I DOUBT IT WILL PASS.
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic6 View Post
So we should stop all developing nations that are becoming mobile?? Are you willing to pay for even cleaner cars, for exotic building materials. No bumping anything in the ECM because that would be breaking the rules. Some of our regualtors activly say no mods at all! Most of the vehs. in the garage forum seem to be used. Are we really in a position to set policy for others. Yes we need to try and Yes greed will always be with us. It is a fact that we could do much better with regualtions at the filling stations for emissions while filling up, wonder why we don't do that? Your lawn mower emits more fumes sitting in a week then a new car does in months. Were does it stop? Were going to regulate our selves to death. Enough with my soap box I'm done.
Yes, let's do nothing because nothing is more affective. There is nothing in human rights about everyone owning an SUV and destroying our planet because of it. I would gladly give up my car, as much as I love it, for a decent commuter rail system in this country. The only lawnmower that pollutes more than the average car is a 2stroke, and anyone with 2 bits of sense will know not to buy one. So, you can cry about your overregulation and wallow in do-nothingness, but some people are actually trying.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

I love the youth. Keep your ideals there great. I had them at your age too. My age group tried to stop goverment, then became the ones ruling the country. Hope you have better luck. But doubt it you'll just get older. LOL As to the comment on the lawn mower you missed what was being said. I was saying that just sitting not mowing. There are regs. out as to how much the car can emit by just sitting. There are regs for everything so don't worry.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
Tuggin at the surly bonds

The passage of time may cause the body to age and wrinkle, but it isn't until one surrenders enthusiasm that the soul ages.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
The only lawnmower that pollutes more than the average car is a 2stroke, and anyone with 2 bits of sense will know not to buy one. So, you can cry about your overregulation and wallow in do-nothingness, but some people are actually trying.
I doubt it. I'm guessing that the vast majority of mowers probably don't have emissions controls like a cat or PCV system, or an evaporative control system. Which means it's likely that they do emit gasoline vapor, what minic6 was referring to. Hell, some motorcycles/scooters built before 2004 in CA and 2006 in the US are using nearly three decade old emissions standards.
Quote:
Restrictions to exhaust emissions were brought to the forefront last year due to confusion regarding new EPA regulations, which went into effect for the 2006 model year - the first revision to nation-wide motorcycle emissions requirements in more than 25 years.
And even with the new standards, they still pollute nearly three-four times more per unit distance compared to a T2B5 car built after 99, and probably most gassers built in the 90s.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:16 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
I doubt it. I'm guessing that the vast majority of mowers probably don't have emissions controls like a cat or PCV system, or an evaporative control system. Which means it's likely that they do emit gasoline vapor, what minic6 was referring to. Hell, some motorcycles/scooters built before 2004 in CA and 2006 in the US are using nearly three decade old emissions standards.

And even with the new standards, they still pollute nearly three-four times more per unit distance compared to a T2B5 car built after 99, and probably most gassers built in the 90s.
Thank you that is the point that was trying to be brought out. Sometimes the brains work but the typing doesn't respond as well. We regulate the daylights out of cars and thats fine, I guess.

We continue to let gas stations emit vapors like nothing has changed. Some do have vapor catch devises, but nothing like what is required on your car. They are just now starting to talk about stationary engines and gas cans. We seem to hit what sticks out cars and let other things fall through the cracks. Which have now become big problems, as cars have become cleaner.

Cars have always been an obvious target their easy to hate?
Forgive me but at times I can't be to forth coming because the lines become blurred as to what is in production and what is privelaged. Case in point of some of the testing done. Did you know that when a shed test is run for vapor you have to flush the windshield washer bottle out with water for half an hour or the alchol will fail the test? Don't forget to flush out the squirters too. We had one car that could not be used for testing because a tech. left off the oil filler cap and oil got on the bulkhead sound deadning rendering the car useless for testing. The regs in place are very stringent. Most people have no idea what hoops have to be jumped through to get a car to pass emmisions today. We could get better MPG by dropping most regs. but that would not be viable. Cafe numbers have been usless because the industry runs the test set by the govt. and then they let us drive who are under no restrictions as to how we drive, rendering the restrictions usless! I guess thats what torques me up. Sorry for the length!