3145 mpg car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to FormulaTwo
3145 mpg car

sorry if this is a repost

The engineers over at UBC have created a vehicle that can travel from Vancouver to Halifax (coast-to-coast) on one gallon of gas. And although it?s not the fastest car on the block, it proves that somebody out there isn?t trying hard enough to make our everyday cars just a little more efficient.

This vehicle can go coast-to-coast (in Canada) from Halifax to Vancouver on one gallon of gas. That?s roughly 3,145 miles. And for this amazing feat, it has earned first prize at the yearly Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Supermileage Competition that was held on June 9th in Marshall, Michigan.

Developed by students at UBC, these guys are winners six years running. Last year, they won with a car that did 1,600 mpg. Which means they doubled their mileage in just one year. Hmmm. Makes you wonder why our cars have stagnated at around 32 Mpg.

The rules for the competition state that the vehicle must be powered by only by an internal combustion engine without any assistance from human propulsion or electric motors.

I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.

FormulaTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
Best. Quote. Ever. Do you mind if I put it in my sig?

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
ROFL!
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq

go for it

Yeah def. not stupid at all. The results of this competition make me feel like all the mods I have on my car are pointless.
I would like to find pics of the car they had the year before, with 1600mpg

See what kind of changes were made etc..

Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Is that thing going backwards? I thought the round part was the front and the tapered part was the rear.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

a cube, lol
thats funny

I think the XB's are beautiful and represent japanese design.

The only thing that bothers me, is a Yellow XB. Just looks like a "short bus"

I may eventually pick up one, possibly in their "envy green" color for a second car. Would be great for snowboarding season, and hauling friends around.

My little brother has a TC, pretty slick little car also. I am very impressed by Scion so far.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Supporting Member

FormulaTwo -

Quote:
a cube, lol
thats funny

I think the XB's are beautiful and represent japanese design.

The only thing that bothers me, is a Yellow XB. Just looks like a "short bus"
Or maybe one of those small sticks of butter?

Quote:
I may eventually pick up one, possibly in their "envy green" color for a second car. Would be great for snowboarding season, and hauling friends around.

My little brother has a TC, pretty slick little car also. I am very impressed by Scion so far.
No way, he has a Scion TC, that is sooooo tight!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

MPG of a dil do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
How many MPG will a dil do? Siriusly!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah a cube!! Box Toaster Fridge and mine is white like kitchen fixtures too.

I have a friend that has had a tC for about 2 years now and I got to drive it a couple weeks ago while I let him borrow my SG1 - it is not like driving the xB especially at night with only one headlight!! He ended up getting a lot better gas mileage after getting the feedback from the SG - no whe is averaging over 30mpg - before he was getting mid 20's.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry if this is a repost

The engineers over at UBC have created a vehicle that can travel from Vancouver to Halifax (coast-to-coast) on one gallon of gas. And although it?s not the fastest car on the block, it proves that somebody out there isn?t trying hard enough to make our everyday cars just a little more efficient.

This vehicle can go coast-to-coast (in Canada) from Halifax to Vancouver on one gallon of gas. That?s roughly 3,145 miles. And for this amazing feat, it has earned first prize at the yearly Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Supermileage Competition that was held on June 9th in Marshall, Michigan.

Developed by students at UBC, these guys are winners six years running. Last year, they won with a car that did 1,600 mpg. Which means they doubled their mileage in just one year. Hmmm. Makes you wonder why our cars have stagnated at around 32 Mpg.

The rules for the competition state that the vehicle must be powered by only by an internal combustion engine without any assistance from human propulsion or electric motors.

40.5 Finish (excerpted from competition rules)

Upon completion of the six lap performance run, 15.5 km (9.6 miles), the timers will record the elapsed time; the fuel tank will be removed and weighed. The kilometer per liter (miles per gallon) calculation for the vehicle will then be computed, dividing the 15.5 km (9.6 mile) distance by the amount of fuel used.

CO ZX2: On my map Vancouver to Halifax is much farther than 9.6 miles. Not to take away from the accomplishment, but why not a little more honesty?

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote