A Gust Of Green Jobs In Iowa! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

A Gust Of Green Jobs In Iowa!

As we move towards an economy with less dependence on oil, America will consume more electricity than ever before. The good news is that the generation of this electricity will create thousands of construction jobs and even more full time highly technical positions in a support role.

Here is an article discussing our electrified future!
http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/20...green-jobs/?hp

Remember, oil and natural gas will run out. Wind will not.

rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

I love it and have been a wind power advocate for many years.

IMO this is the next big job creation sector, that being green energy in general.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Natural gas will run out? I heard that we have enough that we could convert 30% of our cars to run on natural gas and have enough supplies under US soil to last 118 years.

Wind is great where there's always wind. There were windmills near where I lived in southern CA, but sometimes they stood still...

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Wind is great where there's always wind. There were windmills near where I lived in southern CA, but sometimes they stood still...
Where I live, we have an abundance of two things (well, more than two things, but only two of them are of any use...)...wind and sun. I pass a whole lot of wind turbines on my way to work, and I'd say about 80-90 percent of the time, at least some of them are operating. Our big problem (which is starting to be addressed) is not that there is not enough wind, but that there is not enough power line capacity to carry the power from the turbines to market.

Also, in my town, there is a solar power plant under construction. Since we get just about enough rain here to get the car dirty, a solar plant is a really useful thing.

Are wind and solar the only options we should use? Of course not. There's also geothermal, tides, etc. Everything else we have used so far, including nuclear, requires finite resources.

I drive my Geo to help try to make the least impact on those finite resources...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Supporting Member

This is very true, many more wind turbines are being put up so fast in iowa its crazy. On the way from Omaha to Iowa city I saw about 10 trucks with blades on them going down I-80.