American Trucking Association Says: Don't Draft! - id's two websites promoting it - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
Registered Member

At 10 car lengths, the specified distance at 55mph according to the CA DMV, we still pick up ~20%, so riding up the *** of the nearest truck for an extra 20% just seems silly. Of course, if a trucker going 60-70mph thinks that 10 car lengths is too close for that speed, well... glass houses, stones, etc. Everyplace I've been, trucks and autos towing trailers have to go 55mph. I'm tired of reading people ***** about someone breaking the law while breaking some other damn law.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
*shrug*

I think cleanmpg and greenhybrid are the two sites referred to...they are certainly larger fans of stuff I would generally consider dangerous...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

Yay for infamy!
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have ultimate respect for police and state troopers. They have to deal with dangerous situations sometimes daily.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dunlop View Post
I have ultimate respect for police and state troopers. They have to deal with dangerous situations sometimes daily.
Like beating the crap out of peaceful protesters, arresting hippies for having a joint, and killing black people. They aren't worthy of any respect.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hmm. Those probably aren't average troopers' daily activities. You would probably not wanted to be painted with the same broad brush that most people paint anarchists with, would ya? I myself could be forced into all sorts of different stereotypes, but I'd prefer to be considered as an individual, on the basis of my own faults and merits.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
Registered Member

LOL! Thanks for marching out the typical parade of victims -- I had forgotten some of them! Why don't you throw some "undocumented day laborers" into the mix as well?

Seriously, I'm sure the cops who actually do something wrong (and many who don't) get plenty of "justice" served up to them by our plentiful ranks of qualified law professionals. "Killing black people"...I thought "we've progressed beyond" racial bias? The real question is: how many people killed by cops had tried to pull a gun an instant before? Or appeared to have been doing it? I seriously doubt anyone except for the most corrupt bastids would just go on rampage for no reason.

FWIW -

I used to skateboard in college, and I used to wonder why I'd get dirty looks from everyone -- especially the cops. Then I reallized: #1, the sound of a board slapping the ground repeatedly is very annoying, #2 property is often damaged such as smoothly chiseled concrete/stone architecture in downtown areas, and #3 skaters tend to be drug dealers. You have to realize that the cops have limited resources to accomplish seemingly insurmoutable tasks. This is why they profile. Chances are if you feel you're being unjustly discriminated against, it's because they've gotten burned before by people doing similar things to what you're doing. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

Personally, when it comes to self-defense I don't have much of a use for cops -- they are an after-the-fact agency which cannot replace the 2nd Amendment. However, they are often effective at keeping honest people honest, keeping lawbreakers off the streets, and dealing with a whole lot of crap you and I will never see in our daily lives.

So putting their possibly typical control issues aside, when was the last time you risked taking a shotgun blast to the face just for doing your job?

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dunlop View Post
Personally, when it comes to self-defense I don't have much of a use for cops -- they are an after-the-fact agency which cannot replace the 2nd Amendment. However, they are often effective at keeping honest people honest, keeping lawbreakers off the streets, and dealing with a whole lot of crap you and I will never see in our daily lives.
Agreed .

The whole hypermiler = drafter profile is getting major media hype therefore much like gun control , war , police brutality etc etc blah blah blah is all the public will associate with FE/hypermiling . There ! Now driving for max FE (hypermiling) is a dirty word . ...and why "We" need public exposure in the highest regard.
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #19
Registered Member

Maybe it's time to adopt a new word to distance the driving from the flak "hypermiling" is getting. I like the smart car forums terms:

3 levels too... econo, super econo & hyper econo driving.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #20

Hmmmm *food for thought*

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote