Can one person slow global warming? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Can one person slow global warming?

This is some good stuff if you care to read it.........

The Global Warming Survival Guide

51 Things We Can Do

Can one person slow global warming? Actually, yes. You?along with scientists, businesses and governments?can create paths to cut carbon emissions. Here is our guide to some of the planet's best ideas....

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/environment/

GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Supporting Member

roadrunner -

Thanks, I will look it up. Maybe this could be a GasSaver's Easter egg hunt kind of thing. First person to get to the most items before Easter gets a green "easter egg" icon by their name for a year.

(doesn't have to be Easter though, just an example)

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

I read the article in time a few days ago. I liked the little graphs they had for each tip (they don't show that on the website).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Yeah i was like yeah ill just read a few of um. ended up reading um all gues im addicted to green oh well
Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
This is some good stuff if you care to read it.........

The Global Warming Survival Guide

51 Things We Can Do

Can one person slow global warming? Actually, yes. You?along with scientists, businesses and governments?can create paths to cut carbon emissions. Here is our guide to some of the planet's best ideas....

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/environment/
In the 14th century, there were wineries throughout all of England that grew grapes year round, as is evidenced by all of the street names throughout England referring to vines and wine, but growing grapes year-round is no longer possible due the cooler temperatures of today. I would expect that in the coming years, it will be possible for people in England and in many other places to grow grapes year-round, as the planet and its respective regions go through centuries long cycles of warming and cooling, which cannot be stopped, no matter how accustomed we are to any particular point.
Shining Arcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
In the 14th century, there were wineries throughout all of England that grew grapes year round, as is evidenced by all of the street names throughout England referring to vines and wine, but growing grapes year-round is no longer possible due the cooler temperatures of today. I would expect that in the coming years, it will be possible for people in England and in many other places to grow grapes year-round, as the planet and its respective regions go through centuries long cycles of warming and cooling, which cannot be stopped, no matter how accustomed we are to any particular point.
As my environmental studies professor would say, the anomalous weather of one region at one time sheds little light on global climate and should not be regarded as proof of anything.

She would also say that almost every serious scientist agrees on human impact on global warming, and those who don't are great outliers.

So, to anyone reading, grape growth in europe has nothing to do with whether or not global warming is occuring.

Welcome to the site,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
As my environmental studies professor would say, the anomalous weather of one region at one time sheds little light on global climate and should not be regarded as proof of anything.

She would also say that almost every serious scientist agrees on human impact on global warming, and those who don't are great outliers.

So, to anyone reading, grape growth in europe has nothing to do with whether or not global warming is occuring.

Welcome to the site,
There are some scientists that say that there is no global climate and that global cooling or global warming can be claimed to be occurring as a result of the method used to perform global climate calculations:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0315101129.htm

Then there are the scientists that say that each hemisphere gains or loses heat at the other's expense, resulting in a seesawing effect:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0428170229.htm

That would explain why many people in developed nations are talking about global warming when the land mass of Antarctica refuses to adhere to any global warming models, which according to the see-sawing theory, should be in the cooling half of the globe, the half in which most of the developed world does not exist.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
There are some scientists that say that there is no global climate and that global cooling or global warming can be claimed to be occurring as a result of the method used to perform global climate calculations:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0315101129.htm

Some, but not many. As my professor discussed in class just two days ago, this was an issue a few years ago due to the difference between satellite temperature monitoring and land based temperature monitoring. No one could determine which was the correct model, and climate change predictions varied wildly. Recently, however, this discrepancy has been remedied and the two methods of measure now correlate more accurately.

Then there are the scientists that say that each hemisphere gains or loses heat at the other's expense, resulting in a seesawing effect:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0428170229.htm

That would explain why many people in developed nations are talking about global warming when the land mass of Antarctica refuses to adhere to any global warming models, which according to the see-sawing theory, should be in the cooling half of the globe, the half in which most of the developed world does not exist.

One of the issues with global climate change is the worsening of severe local weathers. Some places may get colder as others get warmer. For example, if melting ice disturbs the currents in the atlantic, this may prevent warm, tropical water from reaching western european oceans and western europe may freeze over. However, global average temperature is still rising and is the culprit for these things. Unfortunately, the issue is not so simple as finding one article that questions the general scientific consensus and deciding to believe that and be idle rather then do anything.
La la la.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Registered Member

If you are going to respond to me, please be consistent in your terminology. This thread is about global warming and not global climate change. Please do not use the two phrases interchangeably.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
*shrug*

If you want to start a debate on the subject, you should realize that global climate change is the better term to use because it covers increases in global average temperature, as well as other issues related to climate change to to human impact.

Perhaps it is easier to ignore "global warming" on the basis of a desire for a longer wine season...but, human-induced global climate change, as it is already very apparent, is more difficult.

Anyway, when you think you have proven your case, please try to say something definitive...I go mainly by the professionals and scientists I have had personal interactions with, and my one professor, who I often mention, is very moderate about the subject, so I trust her to be less extreme in opinion than most. And even given her moderation and employ as an economist, she categorizes "global warming skeptics" as ignoring fundamental evidence on the subject.

La la la.