Cheating the test - Page 10 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
the i20 had other issues though - a problem with the engine itself that Hyundai are clueless about, ....
Hyundai has a history of that. I don't think they ever cured the failing main seals when they came to the US.

Here in the US... Toyota has always been conservative on their MPG estimates. I'm experiencing it again with this car.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #92
Registered Member

The oil level in the i20 increased by the same amount as the difference between the min and max marks - so how many litres of diesel was that mixed with the oil...?! The rocker cover gasket went, presumably due to the extra pressure.
Hyundai couldnt explain it, tried claiming it had been overfilled at last service. Either way (and i'm sure it wasnt their way!) I lost all faith in Hyundai and that 1.1 litre 3 cylinder engine.
I hear it may be to do with over fuelling the engine during dpf regen.
When i took the car in Hyundai had even missed the oil streaked block, as the leaked seal i had to return the car and point to it for them to see!
Never has the phrase "buy cheap, buy twice" seemed more appropriate for me.
It was an expensive lesson, but glad to learn on a supermini and not waste any more money with a larger Hyundai.
Found the Toyota faultless up to 5000 miles - apart from the excessive beeping in reverse!

Old 07-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #93
Registered Member

I always thought Hyundai were reliable, they have quite a long warranty, but I noticed recently they've been suffereing in the reliability surveys they do, coming in the bottom few. Toyota should be bulletproof, although I think there's a recall for the airbags, did you hear that Ben? Not sure if it's your model affected, you'll get a letter if it is.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #94
Registered Member

Nowt yet - there was a week or so delay getting the car while "longer bolts" were a recall issue with the suspension or something.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #95
Registered Member

As for Hyundai, the forums are full of problems - the IX20 appears to be a particularly dreadful car, woeful economy and reliability.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #96
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
The oil level in the i20 increased by the same amount as the difference between the min and max marks - so how many litres of diesel was that mixed with the oil...?! The rocker cover gasket went, presumably due to the extra pressure.
Hyundai couldnt explain it, tried claiming it had been overfilled at last service. Either way (and i'm sure it wasnt their way!) I lost all faith in Hyundai and that 1.1 litre 3 cylinder engine.
I hear it may be to do with over fuelling the engine during dpf regen.
When i took the car in Hyundai had even missed the oil streaked block, as the leaked seal i had to return the car and point to it for them to see!
Never has the phrase "buy cheap, buy twice" seemed more appropriate for me.
It was an expensive lesson, but glad to learn on a supermini and not waste any more money with a larger Hyundai.
Found the Toyota faultless up to 5000 miles - apart from the excessive beeping in reverse!
It is possible to turn the rear beep off. It could be done by the owner on the gen2, but it never bothered me enough to turn it off. I'm sure the gen4 procedure is posted at Priuschat somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I always thought Hyundai were reliable, they have quite a long warranty, but I noticed recently they've been suffereing in the reliability surveys they do, coming in the bottom few. Toyota should be bulletproof, although I think there's a recall for the airbags, did you hear that Ben? Not sure if it's your model affected, you'll get a letter if it is.
It has to do with the airbag manufacturer using a propellant/explosive that degraded in humid climates. It hit a lot of brands, including many Hondas.
trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:22 AM   #97
Registered Member

I'm less than 4,000 miles from my 1st service, i'll ask then. Having spent time on Honda, Toyota and Hyundai forums i would say there is a lot less model and dealer dissatisfaction on the Toyota and Honda ones.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #98
Registered Member

Cant remember where I first mentioned particulate filters being fitted to petrol powered cars, but seems relevant in this thread. VW seem to be the first, most petrol powered vehicles now have higher particulate emissions than their diesel equivalents, hence the need for filters.

VW to fit particulate filters on all petrol engines | Next Green Car

Old 08-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #99
Registered Member

Speaking of the future of petrol transport, have you signed for the GTI yet...?!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #100
Registered Member

Ha no. Doubt I will. Stunning car but not enough spare cash at the moment, and I don't believe in finance.