Ev's cost more - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-31-2023, 01:51 PM   #11
LDB
Registered Member

I could make do fine with an EV for my driving needs but they cost more up front and wouldn't save enough, due to limited driving, to repay during the lifetime of ownership. I've had my car 226 days and have 2043 miles, 9 miles per day. It will go up just a bit depending on how many times I have to drive to jury duty in February.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
The problem with PHEVs in Europe was companies were given a tax break for buying them, so they purchased hundreds and ran them as ordinary ICE vehicles. The man in the street buying a PHEV ran it as it was intended to be run.
Regarding the new Hybrid Civic with electric traction, 64 mpg should be achievable if the Jazz with a similar drive train is anything to go by.
Reports I read mentioned the companies further deincentivised employees that wanted to charge by not reimbursing for charging costs, but doing so for the petrol. Didn't help that the popular PHEVs weren't the best in terms of hybrid efficiency.

May not be as big of an issue now, but people were buying PHEVs in California, with no intention of charging, for HOV lane access.

PHEVs can be part of the solution, but incentives need to be carefully crafted to avoid the not being being charged pitfall.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I could make do fine with an EV for my driving needs but they cost more up front and wouldn't save enough, due to limited driving, to repay during the lifetime of ownership. I've had my car 226 days and have 2043 miles, 9 miles per day. It will go up just a bit depending on how many times I have to drive to jury duty in February.
To be fair, I'd never buy an EV to save money, I think that's an illusion because depreciation on any new car is steep. You're looking at £300+ a month in losses. A used EV could save you money, but older EVs have a poorer range and degraded batteries. Unless you cover super high miles, it's simply not worth the purchase. EVs have taken a massive hit here, dealer's are struggling to shift them and selling at a loss. You can get a Tesla M3 for less that £28k now.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

The depreciation issue for EVs is mostly temporary.

Since the Volt and Leaf came out, that has been a steady improvement in cost and performance; faster than predicted. So new EVs have better ranges and charging speeds than those just a few years older. The progress isn't indefinite, and it already appears to be leveling out.

Then incentives on new will depress prices on old. Some states had combined incentives of $10k or more. It is more profitable to ship used EVs to states with less generous ones to sell.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote