Ford's new engine is so small, it fits in carry-on luggage. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow Ford's new engine is so small, it fits in carry-on luggage.

Ford’s new 3-cylinder engine is so small it can fit into a piece of carry-on luggage.
At least its aluminum block is.
A team from Ford brought the heart of the smallest engine it makes to the security checkpoint at Detroit Metro airport in a roll-on bag, put it in a tray and ran it through the X-ray machine to demonstrate just how tidy it is.
Over the summer, the efficient powerplant was named International Engine of the Year. The 1.-liter turbocharged Ecoboost 3-cylinder is currently on sale in several vehicles it sells in Europe and will be coming to a U.S. market car next year, likely in an updated version of the Ford Fiesta compact. The 125 hp engine promises a combination of 4-cylinder power with 3-cylinder fuel efficiency. The only other 3-banger on sale in the United States is found in the Smart Fortwo, which features a 70 hp 1.0-liter motor.
Of course, you probably shouldn’t try this at home, or the airport. Ford set up the stunt ahead of time with the TSA, which doesn’t normally allow photographs to be taken in the security line, and didn’t actually bring it onto a plane.

Read more: Ford's new engine is so small it fits in carry-on luggage | Fox News

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

ok, this is something I would be very interested in. I was disappointed last year when the 1.4T from chevrolet didn't have very big numbers but this one actually sounds promising. I worry though that it will have almost no power without getting into boost.

It will be interesting to see regardless. With emissions, I wonder if the output power will be closer to 100hp.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You all forget that my 1994 Geo Metro wagon had a 1.0 liter three cylinder engine which I think developed 54hp with throttle body injection.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Also - 600cc or 0.6L motorcycle engines now days make 135 hp at the crank.

Worth noting for similarity in size, the 1 liter sport bikes makes 170+hp and yes, while the bike only weighs +/- 500lbs, it still manages top speeds near 200mph and obtains 40+ mpg commuting.

Hell, my single cylinder 625cc motorcycle produces 65hp and gets 50+mpg while flogging it, that's carbureted with no computer monitoring fuel/air. The ENTIRE ENGINE/TRANS would fit in a carry on duffle bag. lol
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
ok, this is something I would be very interested in. I was disappointed last year when the 1.4T from chevrolet didn't have very big numbers but this one actually sounds promising. I worry though that it will have almost no power without getting into boost.

It will be interesting to see regardless. With emissions, I wonder if the output power will be closer to 100hp.
I saw a comment about the 1.4 Cruze at cleanmpg about that. It returned good numbers while DWL. But pulse and coast wasn't possible without going into boost, so it wasn't as good.

Gotta remember that GMs are on the, em, huskier side of vehicle weight. Fords aren't much better, if at all, but they both know it, and are working on it. Hopefully we'll start seeing some weight reduction from them soon.

As power loss to emissions, I never comments about it with the 2.0L and 1.6L.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote