New Fuel Efficient Tires Could Save Long Islanders $150 And Reduce U.S. Oil Dependancy By 275,000 Barrels a Day - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
Driving on E

New Fuel Efficient Tires Could Save Long Islanders $150 And Reduce U.S. Oil Dependancy By 275,000 Barrels a Day

Original Article: http://schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/PR01924.pf.html

SCHUMER: NEW FUEL EFFICIENT TIRES COULD SAVE LONG ISLANDERS $150 AND REDUCE U.S. OIL DEPENDANCY BY 275,000 BARRELS A DAY

Schumer touts new tire technology that cuts reliance
on foreign oil and saves money at the pump

New Schumer study finds less than 12 percent of LI tire stores sell fuel efficient tires – and Schumer reveals where to find them

US Senator Charles E. Schumer today announced a plan to require the federal Government to establish efficiency standards for the replacement tires drivers buy when the originals on their cars wear out. Most current replacement tires are between 20 and 60 percent less efficient than the original tires automakers equip cars with to help meet federal fuel economy standards.

Schumer released data showing that for an extra $5 to $12 per set of replacement tires, the average motorist can reduce his or her gasoline consumption by 1.5 to 4.5 percent, saving $50-$150 over the life of the tires. This data was confirmed by California Energy Commission, which is that state's state's primary energy policy and planning agency.

"If most Long Islanders knew they could invest an extra $12 in a set of tires and then save up to $150 at the gas pump, they'd jump at the opportunity. It's a huge savings for less than the cost of a tank of regular unleaded," Schumer said. "Unfortunately, there aren't enough of these tires, and the ones that are on the market are tough to find. But if fuel efficient tires are good enough when you buy a new car, they should be good enough when its time to replace those tires down the road – and tire manufacturers should make that option available for every car, truck, SUV, and minivan driver."

According to the National Resources Defense Council, the United States could save 275,000 barrels of oil a day by the year 2010 if all replacement tires were as efficient as the originals. In New York alone, efficient replacement tires would save 150 million gallons of gasoline and $240 million a year. Savings nationwide would total between $2.5 and $7.5 billion a year, according to Green Seal Environmental Partners, an independent, non-profit organization that produces Consumer ReportsTM -like investigations into the environmental friendliness of consumer products.

Tire efficiency is measured through rolling resistance, or the amount of energy needed to roll a tire down the road. Because of their higher rolling resistance, replacement tires are as much as 60 percent less efficient than the original tires that automakers use to help meet the federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards, according to Green Seal. If all replacement tires were as efficient as the originals, fuel economy nationwide would improve by about 3%, and the United States could save 5 billion barrels of oil between 2007 and 2050, according to the National Resources Defense Council.

Schumer's proposal today directs the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, a division of the US Department of Transportation, to establish an efficiency standard and labeling requirements for replacement tires so consumers know if the tires they buy are as efficient as the ones that came as original equipment when their cars were new. These standards would be reviewed and updated every three years to keep up with improvements in tire technology.

Schumer would also create a new consumer information program to promote the purchase of energy-efficient replacement tires including purchase incentives, Internet website listings, and printed fuel economy guide booklets. Schumer said that this information is essential because few drivers know about these tires and even fewer tire retailers in New York and across the nation sell such tires.

Schumer released a new study today of over 100 tire retailers in Nassau and Suffolk counties that found just 12 percent of them currently carry high-efficiency tires. Of 106 Long Island tire retailers contacted on August 4 and 5, only 13 reported carrying any of 16 tire models that are highlighted by Green Seal as fuel efficient. For a list of stores that sell the high efficiency tires click here.

The specific tire models studied by Schumer are the Bridgestone B381, Nokian NRT2, Sumitomo HTR 200, Dunlop Graspic DS-1, Dunlop SP40 A/S, Goodyear VIVA 2, Continental ContiTouring Contact CH95, Michelin Pilot Alpine, Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus, Dunlop SP WinterSport M2, Michelin Arctic AlpineXL, Dunlop Axiom Plus WS, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A, Michelin XPS Rib, Michelin LTX M/S and Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 tires. Schumer researchers asked for a variety of tire sizes, from 185/70R14 models appropriate for an economy car like a 2001 Honda Civic to 245/75R16 models that would fit a full-size SUV like 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe.

California Energy Commission research has shown that fuel-efficient tires perform at the same safety level as the replacement tires that are currently used by cars throughout the United States. Tire manufacturers can use materials like silica to stiffen tires and lower their weight. Improved tread design can also improve rolling resistance.

"By guaranteeing that replacement tires are as efficient as a car's original tires, drivers can make a small, smart, and effective investment that delivers large returns – all while decreasing our dependence on oil the oil we import every day," Schumer said.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

don't know why this thread never got a reply. very good info. SHOULD be a sticky for new members.

for me personally, was extremely helpful 'cause i had a difficult time finding LRR tires to fit my Olds. 225/60/16 is hard to find. this gave me specific brands to look for.

a belated thank you Matt!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Poopy. The only tire on that list that works on my car is the Energy MXV4 Plus. BUT its $145/tire!

I think go LRR IF you're really really conservative and trying to reduce your CO output only.
Otherwise it might not be cost effective since most LRR tires are slippery as heck and your vehicle might not be insured to get fixed if ya crash.

Maybe find a tire that gets sweet reviews and also specs higher than 50 psi on the max sidewall number...then, you could maybe have a 10% increase in mileage and have really good traction too.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

but what about those tires that you dont have to inflate and werent made of rubber.. it had stiff material holding it up.. but forgot what they were called..
Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Right, the Tweel is a prototype product. Something to look forward to in the future...
Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rt0npr0 View Post
Poopy. The only tire on that list that works on my car is the Energy MXV4 Plus. BUT its $145/tire!

I think go LRR IF you're really really conservative and trying to reduce your CO output only.
Otherwise it might not be cost effective since most LRR tires are slippery as heck and your vehicle might not be insured to get fixed if ya crash.

Maybe find a tire that gets sweet reviews and also specs higher than 50 psi on the max sidewall number...then, you could maybe have a 10% increase in mileage and have really good traction too.
Do these tires come in your size?

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20...ed_quatrac.htm

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Goodyear Alegra are they's LRR?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:

saw somewhere that new tech gave LRR tires more traction(forgot the link and the chemical additive). hankook and michelin were the two manufacturers implimenting the additive. the article mentions silica, but not sure if that's it.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yeah, $462 out the door for those in my size! (for set of 4)

You work for that company or something? And are those LRR's that you are using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Yeah, $462 out the door for those in my size! (for set of 4)

You work for that company or something? And are those LRR's that you are using?
Haha, no. But for some reason I like them and they seem to come in a lot of sizes. I have high rolling resistant tires on my car as well as wheels that turn sluggishly on the wheel bearings. Not sure if the latter is effecting the rollability of my car, (probably), but my car does not roll very well. I may buy a set of these tires when I can afford to.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote