'Road trains' get ready to roll - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #11

Imagine one road train overtaking another.
I can't see this fitting the mentality of most drivers whose mindset is that they're in a race with everyone.

markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

There are allot of cities that prohibit double trailers, road trains would be allowed to route only destinations. I can see them taking the 10 highway, that's a coast to coast route. The Austrailian road trains have 7 to 9 trailers, duel steering wheels and a big sleeper cab, plus they run 12 or 16 cylinder Catapilers, they're closer to road ships.

Here in lies the debate, having driven cross country for a year and a half, the way it is supposed to work, is major cities get train or ship cargos, that is taken by truck or train to other cities and sometimes go to even smaller delivery trucks. Are there land locked cities that don't have train routes? Are trains so overloaded by need that there aren't enough trains for goods being moved? If that's the case then listen for a ships horn and a quater mile of trailers behind you.

Safety? They are really going to need real time GPS traffic, plus the new system on the Toyota Sienna mini vans. Its an infrared eye that tracks cars in front of you, you can set it in cruise control mode for between 5 and 35 feet, the van will accelerate and brake in concert with the vehicle in front.

Out here at the Dulles Airport they have just installed Air Trans, its a 2 to 3 car shuttle that rides on radial tires, steeres by guide rail, is electric, and completely automated. Kind of a human land train.

Also in the automation catagory, after the train wreck last year in Maryland, the auto positioning system that told operators a track was clear is being replaced by a new automated system. The old 70's system had not worked right for 4 months and totaly failed when it told one train the track was clear. For the last 8 months the entire Metro sytem has been run by humans, they show a 50% late rate. Some operators are so slow they run 2 and 3 trains backed up behind each other, no trains are on time, and they have an average of 40 minutes late when the trains actually do show up. The old system was supplimental, operators had the positioning system tell them when it was clear to go and they had a 2 minute window to get the train moving. The new system does away with operators, so you have more unemployment and the trains running on time.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
duel steering wheels
What's that for?

Quote:
new system on the Toyota Sienna mini vans. Its an infrared eye that tracks cars in front of you, you can set it in cruise control mode for between 5 and 35 feet, the van will accelerate and brake in concert with the vehicle in front.
Seriously? WTF was Toyota thinking? Are they trying to make people hate them now? Just what I need, people having an automated way to tailgate me.

It should have a minimum of 35 feet and a maximum of 1/4 mile (granted, that maximum is not feasible).

Quote:
The new system does away with operators, so you have more unemployment and the trains running on time.
Well, you may not have anywhere to go but at least you'll get there on time.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
<snip> duel steering wheels <snip>
That's so the drivers can fight to the death about which route to take...

...Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Safety? They are really going to need real time GPS traffic, plus the new system on the Toyota Sienna mini vans. Its an infrared eye that tracks cars in front of you, you can set it in cruise control mode for between 5 and 35 feet, the van will accelerate and brake in concert with the vehicle in front.
That's kinda scary...reminds me of the Radar Brake that Packard experimented with in the mid '50s...

"Another bold but ultimately unworkable idea for the big 1957 Packards was the 'radar brake.' This comprised a small grille-mounted radar sensor connected to an electric screwjack that engaged or disengaged the brakes independently of the driver. As Richard Stout, then of Packard Product Planning related, the radar brake proved itself when a Four Hundred hardtop so equipped was driven at a wall.

But later, 'a company official drove the [car] home. On his first right turn the sensor picked up a cross-traffic car waiting for a light. Screech! Halt! Recovering, our shaken driver proceeded down a narrow street with parked cars, two-way traffic and pedestrians, all of which alarmed the sensor. . . . Our official was astounded [and] made a beeline for the company garage.' " (From "How Stuff Works...1957 and '58 Packard Concept Cars)

Maybe technology has improved in the last half century, but....

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
That's kinda scary...reminds me of the Radar Brake that Packard experimented with in the mid '50s...

"Another bold but ultimately unworkable idea for the big 1957 Packards was the 'radar brake.' This comprised a small grille-mounted radar sensor connected to an electric screwjack that engaged or disengaged the brakes independently of the driver. As Richard Stout, then of Packard Product Planning related, the radar brake proved itself when a Four Hundred hardtop so equipped was driven at a wall.

But later, 'a company official drove the [car] home. On his first right turn the sensor picked up a cross-traffic car waiting for a light. Screech! Halt! Recovering, our shaken driver proceeded down a narrow street with parked cars, two-way traffic and pedestrians, all of which alarmed the sensor. . . . Our official was astounded [and] made a beeline for the company garage.' " (From "How Stuff Works...1957 and '58 Packard Concept Cars)

Maybe technology has improved in the last half century, but....
i dunno i dont trust it...if it malfunctions and you rearend the car in front of you its still your fault... and 5 ft ? WTF were they thinking!?!? were gonna use this in gridlock traffic????
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Gridlock is exactly when I would want to use it, and when I'd be willing to trust it the most easily.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
Banned

well they obviously don't need to see out the windows

This will probably go over as well as these cars avoiding congestion charges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYdH08zzRCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What's that for?

Seriously? WTF was Toyota thinking? Are they trying to make people hate them now? Just what I need, people having an automated way to tailgate me.

It should have a minimum of 35 feet and a maximum of 1/4 mile (granted, that maximum is not feasible).

Well, you may not have anywhere to go but at least you'll get there on time.

Thats not even legal, it's supposed to be 10 feet for every 10mph. I guess in Japan there's alot less room. I hate idiots who ride my *** at 60/70.

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote