Some ridic article by some fool - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

Bottom line on LaPointe (as far as I know) is that he tests 99% driveline mods for fuel economy.

NO driving techniques...NO aero mods.

He drives out one way so many miles..then back the other way to factor out wind and terrain. Uses a scan gauge. Highway speeds.

If he says he's seen a gain with something...better believe it...espec if you drive a Neon. Well...maybe not the Torco oil?

As far as advertising stuff: I find it interesting on the internet the way people tend to jump all over anyone selling something....yes there are a lot of scammers...but then again....people can't just give stuff away either.

If you try to make your own versions of various things you see mentioned...you'll probably find what I did...all the little parts add up quick...and you will probably spend many frustrating hours trying to get something to work.

As far as his political views...my guess is that if the acetone was added to fuel in bulk...there MIGHT be around a 10% avg gain in fuel economy...cleaner air. But no war profits though.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
*shrug*

I still dunno what you want me to do with wordpress, *shrug*

ZugyNA, I have a hard time believing buying a certain brand of gas destroyed his GMC's fuel system. He says he saw that, but I'll be damned if I believe it. Also, I've run E10 in my car plenty of times and it has yet to jump and buck, or whatever he says it does.

And to point about selling things, the fact that all he says about most of these things is "wow, they're so cool, call my buddy and he'll hook you up" is suspect. Let's not even consider that the product websites have little merit or proof, but if GS existed for the soul purpose of Matt answering ever post with a product he makes...I wouldn't be here.

Besides that, since you bring it up, it is rather odd he completely disregards aero and driving mods. He claims doubled mileage, but I've never seen it happen (except in the case of driving and aero mods, as shown on this site).

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #13
Registered Member

As far as selling/buying products goes...well it's buyer beware.

I really try to look before I leap...and even that doesn't always work.

I only recently started paying much attention to driving style and aero mods.

Driving style changes work for sure...but in a sense are almost a kind of cheating...which confuses results from technical changes.....and probably why LaPointe doesn't use them.

Aero mods work...but can be hard to apply right? Not to mention changing the appearance of the car.

People on some other sites and in some groups pay no attention to either of them at all for the most part...doing mostly driveline mods.

The majority of auto enthusiasts are still after POWER....PERIOD?????

Old 08-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
*shrug*

Yes, yes, buyer beware, trust no one, it's all your fault someone lied to you and you bought their crap.

Anyway, how is driving technique cheating? Because it works, or because it blows all this heated fuel stuff out of the water?

Besides, this isn't about what the majority of people want. Change in attitudes won't happen if every fuel economy improvement is pitched with some bs about "and there was a huge increase in horsepower too." I haven't seen a dyno sheet on his site, nor any testing besides "oh wow, he feathered that gas pedal a little bit and tripled his mileage, but then he put ethanol in and threw a rod."

Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense. And unfortunately it doesn't have any of the proof behind it to make me think it does. If he'd cite a mother****ing source besides www.buythiscuzitworks.com I might be a little less of a cynic.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA
Driving style changes work for sure...but in a sense are almost a kind of cheating...which confuses results from technical changes.....and probably why LaPointe doesn't use them.
I look at it the other way. Once you max out your driving style you won't see anymore improvement and so you can't cheat by doing something that will get better results.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:09 AM   #16
Registered Member

It would be LOGICAL to combine driving techniques...aeromods...AND driveline mods?

But you can't test driveline mods if you are using driving techniques at the same time...or at least it's difficult. Same for testing aeromods.

It's real easy to put some acetone in the tank or install an intake swirler or vgs...and then subconsiously drive a little easier and then say they worked.

Which is why testing things with a scangauge ...2 ways..at highway speeds...is the about the only valid way to test driveline mods?

(or maybe full tank refills with consistant driving and using a 3 tank moving avg?)

Old 08-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #17
Registered Member

Isn't this the guy who also says to add the oil additives in addition to the recommended volume of oil, overfilling your crankcase? What a screwball!
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:12 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA
Which is why testing things with a scangauge ...2 ways..at highway speeds...is the about the only valid way to test driveline mods
IMHO, it's the only valid way to test any kind of mod, additive, etc. - and only if cruise control is used (takes the driver's foot out of the equation and ensures each run is at exactly the same speed), and only if you're driving essentially alone (not following in any other vehicles' wakes). It's the closest we can get to a dynamometer.

EDIT: and I should have said, accurate-as-possible before/after comparisons can only be done back to back, in identical conditions. Not days or weeks apart (as is the case with tank to tank testing).
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #19
*shrug*

How often do I do a scientific test on a modification? Mehbe once a month, less? Should I abandon good FE for that period of time because it'll be better for testing? Unfortunately, I think there is just as much variability in normal driving as there is in fuel conscious driving. If you want to get ****ty mileage so you can "accurately" test your fuel atomizers, that's fine with me, but I have yet to see you post some semblance of a test that's even made an attempt to be free of variability, so I can't say I see what you're gaining.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #20
Registered Member

Howdy all...
The statement at --
?11. Perhaps you still have a carburetor or you own a beautiful antique automobile. I often soldered or plugged the power value shut in many kinds of carburetors to prevent enriching the fuel mixture unnecessarily. ---You will not even notice anything except smoother operation and a lower gas expense with improved mileage.? --is WAY WRONG !

Plugging or disonecting someway the power valve circuit in a carby will result in a stammer (which if serious enough could stall out the engine) when flooring it from idle.
Not the best thing at the lights or across a busy intersection when you need immediate zip.
Other effects can be burnt head valves from lean out conditions or increased seat wear.
Also the engine will be noticeably weak in acceleration when going say from a 3/4 to full throttle condition in any gear.
Bottom line , BAD ADVICE !

In fact ,..that whole article was a complete joke.

gregW:-)

100hp Fiat 128 1100cc 40mpg
std-hp 72 Toyota corola 60mpg

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote