Study: Low-emissions vehicles are less expensive overall - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Study: Low-emissions vehicles are less expensive overall

Most of us knew this all along. Worth sharing with family and friends, especially when fuel prices inevitably goes up again.

Study: Low-emissions vehicles are less expensive overall | MIT News

It May Not Cost You More To Drive Home In A Climate-Friendly Car : NPR

This tool shows exactly which cars screw the climate - Vox

Old 10-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

I guess this study will depend where you live, and the various carbon taxes, fuel prices and running costs associated with running a vehicle. I've done the maths myself numerous times for various EV's and put simply, they still work out very expensive to buy and run here. Yes our fuel is more expensive, but our smaller diesels are more efficient, and our energy costs are still pretty high too. A staggering 90% of people lease the battery here too, I just can't get my head around it, the cheapest battery lease is £45 a month, but you're limited to just 60 miles a week! Anything over, you get charged an additional 30p per mile.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

No way! 60 miles a week only, then an extra 30p a mile? Every time i think about EV, another ridiculous obstacle is revealed.
I drive 300-400 miles a week. As my current costs are 7.7 pence per mile, why would i ever bother...?
Old 10-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

With my Mirage pushing 70 mpg UK, (just over 58 US) at $12,950 US out the door I could not match that with a leaf when you consider total cost of ownership. That's $33 a month for fuel based on 1k miles per month at my current cost per mile average.

The difference in property taxes between the Mirage and the Leaf would come very close to paying for all my fuel. Add the higher insurance cost and it easily pays for all my fuel, even driving 18,000 miles per year.

Depreciation? Forget about it. The depreciation on a new Leaf would have PAID!!! for the Mirage at 23k miles.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
With my Mirage pushing 70 mpg UK, (just over 58 US) at $12,950 US out the door I could not match that with a leaf when you consider total cost of ownership. That's $33 a month for fuel based on 1k miles per month at my current cost per mile average.

The difference in property taxes between the Mirage and the Leaf would come very close to paying for all my fuel. Add the higher insurance cost and it easily pays for all my fuel, even driving 18,000 miles per year.

Depreciation? Forget about it. The depreciation on a new Leaf would have PAID!!! for the Mirage at 23k miles.
I can only assume you have a very short commute to work, and/or you drive dangerously slow, as the majority of Mirage's are getting 45-47 UK MPG.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Dangerously slow...! Dangerous and fast go together way more appropriately. Like the chumps who "need" insanely fast cars to "accelerate out of danger".
Old 10-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I can only assume you have a very short commute to work, and/or you drive dangerously slow, as the majority of Mirage's are getting 45-47 UK MPG.
No commute-retired.
I generally don't slow down traffic. Today I drove 24 miles to my youngest brothers house and back (golf tournament). Interstate and secondary roads. I actually coasted through an intersection at 53 mph, engine off, in a 45 mph zone. Lived here most of my adult life and know the best routes.
60 mpg round trip, about 45 mph average speed overall, 60 on the Interstate portion which is actually a little over the 55 limit in the construction zone.
I met some ecomodder members at the Richmond airport and we drove the way you assumed I drive on old US route 60 using every technique and I averaged 73mpg (90 per UK gallon give or take). My techniques are annoying to obnoxious tailgaters (no shortage here), but in most cases they just pass me, which makes both of us happy.
Last speeding ticket or any other traffic conviction was the week Princess Diana died.
Been a while.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

Great figures, I myself can get upwards of 95/96 UK MPG using similar techniques although never engine off coasting. But I certainly wouldn't hold traffic up, those people still in the working world with jobs to get to etc, it's the most frustrating thing in the world being stuck behind someone who only cares what they are doing and not considering the traffic flow and what effect that can have. When I referred to dangerously slow, it's because it forces people to take evasive action, and overtake which itself is a dangerous manoeuvre, and causes alot of accidents here, as does getting half way through a bend and being forced to brake on the bend because there's a little old lady doing about 17 Mph through the bend. No amount of gas saving is worth frustrating other road users.