Top 5 Reasons To Buy A New Car - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Top 5 Reasons To Buy A New Car

wait, collision isn't different. it is just required on the vehicle you owe on. I personally would keep full coverage as long as the car is valued at $3k or higher. you never know when the mess might hit the fan. hitting a deer with no comprehensive sucks.

also I really like the lotus exigue. not really that fast or really that expensive (for the WOW car). I have actually thought about financing my mid life crisis now and saving to get a car like that....then life tends to hit me.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

found this...http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2399 speaking of impressing people...or not. these older members certainly get it!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
I bought my very last POS nearly two years ago. A 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic with the 2.2L mill.

It was a good deal at $3500 for a five year old car with 100K miles on it.

However.......

Since I've owned it,

I had a new fuel pump installed.

(which ended up costing me dearly since I did not get the car towed home so I could replace it myself. Yes, this was my choice but with only two cars at the time I needed something that wifey could drive while I still drove my trusty 1992 Honda Civic - which never left me stranded BTW.)

I needed to replace the Classic's transmission pan gasket and in the middle of winter too. Not a high cost repair but still a pain to do when the garage floor is a toasty 25?F.

I've had to replace the front brake pads on the Classic twice (wifey drives like Jackie Stewart). And the brakes on GM's don't seem to last very long if they're used.

Some would consider Yoda a POS but for me it's a new car compared to the VX I drove for five years. Yoda will achieve POS status when the traction battery dies. So far, no sign of obvious degradation of the big battery.

I also own a 2010 Nissan Versa. Very nice to have a new, very reliable car that I wouldn't be afraid to drive to Cal-I-Forn-I-A if I had to.

I liked my VX's very much but the it seemed the last one always needed something to be repaired/replaced every other week.

Much better to have new or nearly new (when you can afford it).
yea some GM brakes love to get eaten but others seem to last a very long time. I remember my dad having to change out the pads on our 77 capreece several times in a 5 year span it seems while my s10 ive never had to and they still look great. (been 9 years that ive owned it, never had have to change em, about 62K miles) now the rubber hoses well i fear thier gettin worn out...

my personal reasons not to buy new:

new cars look like crap and fit into one of 2 categories: easter egg or electric razor and sound like one

yes the inevitable door ding or hail dent on the new car sucks, s10's collected a few of each over the years

like someone else said, the technology is tried and true and usually pretty fail resistant, if it does find a forum or Google and 30,000 other people have had the same problem so easy to fix

junkyard parts hunting is SO much easier on old cars (ive nearly turned my base base work truck model s10 into an s10 with nearly every option that was available for maybe $300)

the more rust and dents the better, noone will park close to you in fear you will door ding them or they will have to rub up against your mobile tetinus shot machine

ive noticed the crappier the car as long as everything still works to keep it legal cops leave it alone because they dont believe you have much money to pay any tickets, or if its known in the history books as one of the top 10 worst cars produced they laugh at you when you break the law (going 85mph in a chevette flying in front of a cop taking radar and all you see is they take a 2nd look at their radar gun and start laughing and pointing at you...)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Egads!...a 2001 car would be an upgrade for me! I'm still driving a 1991 car!

One point...they mention that 2011 cars are quieter...are they really any quieter than 2001 cars were when they were new? Or 1991 cars, or 1961 cars, for that matter?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

I don't know. My 1998 V8 4x4 with 175,000 miles runs so quiet you can't hear it running from 10 feet away. I don't think you can ask for a vehicle to be any quieter than that.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quieter means more than what you hear standing outside it while it idles. There's interior isolation from engine noise, road noise, wind noise, tire noise; there's exterior reduction in those same things at speed, too.

I do believe that interior at-speed noise is quieter than ever in most vehicles, when compared to comparable vehicles of yesteryear. There's more attention to details like little whooshes and whistles, there's more soundproofing, etc. It's not universal but it's a pretty strong trend. They have to, to stay competitive.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

yea, my moms 97 tarus had a little engine rumble but i like hearing the engine, my 95 truck can hear everythign from inside... 80 chevette well i can hear every bug hit the grille it seems haha

her 07 fusion is relatively quiet unless you get on it., our 96 aerostar i kinda loud.

but my 02 blazer all i hear is tire noise, im planning to put a louder exhaust on it so i can hear it (manual trans) i shift by ear so i need to hear/feel something...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
Registered Member

my reason is why change when your gas mpg is so good, 97 civic HX,363,500 miles runs like new 578mi/11.46 gal. ,558/10.94. Great car
msweatherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
Registered Member

this article circulated it's way back thru AOL, and addressing THEIR reasons, not mine(5 reasons not to), is still worth discussion...

their five in short, with my response:
1)economy...already got more than most new cars
2)power...don't need it
3)safety...half sustained: i don't have the latest safety features, but i've got my "safer than most" driving experience
4)tech...got a radio; do i REALLY need an on board ipod and such?
5)comfort and design...got enough for my taste already
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

I'm still shopping... IF I can write it off on my taxes I will buy new, if not then I will get a late model used vehicle.

However, I drove my nephew's 1999 Cavalier Z24 the other day, and was very impressed. Was peppy, rode & handled nice, and after I had charged the a/c I think he could store ice cream in that car.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote