VW diesels gone from the U.S. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

They are still among the best selling cars in the EU. See Best Selling Cars Blog | Which cars are the best-sellers in your country?

Most in developing countries can't even afford a real VW, which is more on the premium side in the rest of the world (besides the decontented US/CAN Passat and Jetta). Only the Polo (made in India), Jetta, and cheaper domestic VW models are sellers in the developing world.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

When VW speaks, I suspect all in the VW/Audi Group (VAG) will be affected, including Audi and Porsche. Audi's 1st-gen Q5 was the best-selling vehicle in its class (mid-size luxury SUV, >1.5M sold), and in Canada, most of those were diesel. Here diesel pump prices have been lower than regular unleaded gasoline (petrol), ever since I got mine in May 2015.

I'm on my first diesel engine (3.0L V6, 428-fl-lbs torque, >22,000 miles, 18 months), and I'm hooked. I'm also disappointed that VAG is abandoning diesel in the US (I suspect this mean Canada too, as we tend to do what the US does).

Meanwhile, Mercedes expects to offer diesels in first-half 2017 (slow to market due to extra-stringent government certification process, which slows things down).

As much as I hate the Dieselgate scandal, I love my car and my diesel engine.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
When VW speaks, I suspect all in the VW/Audi Group (VAG) will be affected, including Audi and Porsche.
Audi wants to at least keep the 3.0 TDI in the Q7, in which they say it makes the most sense.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...l-model-in-u.s.

Porsche to sell their Cayenne 3.0 diesels as used cars once the fix is in.
Porsche USA To Sell 1,500 New Cayenne Diesels As Used Vehicles

See a pattern? It seems like the 3.0 TDI is important for both companies in their fullsize SUVs. It may not go without a fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
I'm also disappointed that VAG is abandoning diesel in the US (I suspect this mean Canada too, as we tend to do what the US does).
Volkswagen Canada kills diesel for 2017 model year
Old 11-27-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

If I wanted to pick a fight with VW about anything, it wouldn't be about dieselgate, I find it more offensive that they sell the same car in different countries, but remove most of the safety features. Take the VW fox for example, scores 4 out 5 stars for saftey in Europe, but then VW rip out the seatbelt pretensioners and the airbags when they sell it in Brazil. I'm sure other manufacturers do that too, but to me, that's a bigger deal that actually costs lives, rather than a silly software issue.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #15
Registered Member

The paper reported that sales in North America where down 13%
Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I just don't get how heavy polluting 7.0 litre diesel trucks, and 2 seater Sports cars with 8.3 litre engines that barely scrape double digits economy wise can still be sold, and powerful, clean, super effecient technology gets pushed aside. I mean worse things have happened in the US, and do happen, things that cost lots of lives, things that actually matter. But I guess it's hard for the authorities to make severel billion dollars out of those things.
No large Diesel pickups in my area unless you count industrial trucks and most of the overpowered cars come from Europe. Maybe in the states you have visited there are lots of overpowered cars but south of us there are very very few.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #17
Registered Member

Not overpowered, oversized is a better phrase. We have similar performance desires here, towing, driving quick etc but we still have C02 emissions standards and high fuel prices too, so we get the same power from much smaller engines.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #18
Registered Member

California has the highest standards in the world in the world and most of North America follows along. Our fuel prices are higher than yours by the way.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #19
Registered Member

Highest standards, but are they just set up to fail like other standards around the globe? California had the highest level of airborne pollutants in any US state just 8 years ago, pollution related deaths in LA are tripple those in NYC. The pollution in California has been so bad, that federal health standards for ozone levels have only been met three days this summer.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #20
Registered Member

Since most of California is desert or mountainous they do not take the average, only a few densely populated urban centres. You can drive, as you probably know, 50 miles or more without passing a car.

Would have driven there this fall had the spouse not needed an operation, next year Highway 101, Palm Springs and Death Valley. The only time we ever encountered haze in California was because of brush fires.