Wiperless windshields - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Wiperless windshields

no more need for aero mods for your windshield wipers:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/24/w...anks-nanotech/

but until then, ill have to try out rain-x or aquapel, or just rub some onions or potatoes on my windshield

Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #2

Many states (CA included) mandate by law you must have working wipers on a vehicle. In CA you can have your vehicle impounded for not having them working! This is similar to the mirrors issue - even though there may be better things out there, we are mandated to have them on vehicles, unfortunately.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
DRW
Registered Member

Cool technology.
My wipers work, so I'm complying with the law. I usually don't use them because Rain-X works good enough.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

if this thing becomes real, applying laws will soon be altered.
While checking up om regulations regarding rearview mirriors, i noticed the words "rearview mirror" had recently been changed in "instalation for rearward vison". basically this now enebles the use of cameras etc... whatever is used needs to be certified, so no DIY stuff.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #5

I've been toying with the idea of aero covers for my wipers lately because they are horribly inefficient. On a CRX with a rear wiper, it adds drag, so have been experimenting with methods for a removable rear wiper as it's not required legally.

Having functioning wipers vs. having wipers that must be available on demand is a different issue. The laws don't keep up with technology and that really stinks.

I do wish it were easy to find professional installers cheaply for neat things like camera mirrors so we could do aero mods well, with approval.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Its a safety issue, the wipers. Here in NYS, as I'm sure in many states, if the wipers don't work or if the blades are worn where they don't adequately clean the windshield, the car will not pass a safety inspection. Matter of fact, depending on the size of a crack in a windshield, or the severity of scratches in the glass, it can fail also.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ive got to find out how to fix a $300 rear wiper motor.. apparently it looks like a $1 diode exploded on the motor. Dang expensive Porsche parts..
Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #8
Registered Member

personally i've got some flatblade wipers on my car... they where a bit pricy compared to normal wipers, but they're still on after more than a year and still no signs of wear.

my wipers are frightfully exposed to the airflow and fairing them will be difficult so i figured it was best to minimize the wipers size.

don't know if there's any gains but they come with an integrated spoiler and they definately wiper better at speed!

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
As an owner of a CRX HF, I've put 80,000 miles on this current HF, and 40,000 of those miles were driven without any windshield wipers on the car. I first removed them to see if I'd find a MPG difference....NOPE, no change whatsoever to note. The only reason I left them off the car is that the car looks fantastic with them removed. (I wish all car manufacturers would find a way to tuck the wipers away, hiding them when not in use.) At any rate, I find it interesting that such stately looking wipers don't cause any change in MPG...or at least not in my experience. I do a WHOLE lot of driving; 850-1000 miles per week.

**Let it be known that I do worry about the day when I will eventually be hit with that tidal wave over the highway median wall from a vehicle in the opposing traffic hitting a large puddle. It's happened before, just not without my wipers on. Without the wipers on actually isn't so bad though. If it's going to rain I actually prefer a good, steady rain...as it will run UP the windshield and not really affect my vision. I try to keep the winshield clean and waxed. The wax doesn't last as long as Rain-X, but it accomplishes the same task.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

I like the rainX, except when you get near street lights, it blocks some vision from the light hitting all the little beads of water and shining in your eyes. using wipers makes the blades slip/stick/chatter but its better than the glare from the street lights. on dark roads its the best.

ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote