Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
An electric car I could live with!

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/news-012209.php

150-200 miles range
10 minute full charges on 220v power
0-60 in 2.5 seconds and a top speed of 208mph.

Stop every couple of hours at a charging station and let your car charge back up fully while you get a snack and pee. Sounds like a winner!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

I'm not "buying" the 10 minute charge.... apart from direct to overhead power lines with 2" thick cable.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm guesstimating it takes 5KW to cruise at 60, with 200 mile range, that's 3hrs 20 mins run time, so that's a minimum of 16 2/3 KWh.... multiply that by 6 to get KW required in 10 minutes, 100KW... sooooo, as long as you have a 500A 220V circuit handy, you're golden.... what, your house only has 100-200A service??? oh snap.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've done the math before, you just can't get a 10 minute charge without a crazy level of power service.

The automated battery exchange idea sounds more realistic.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

I don't know that it would take that much to cruise 60 in it. It looks like the kind of vehicle to have a very low Cd.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Well, RW's 16.66kw == ~22.33hp. If it only takes 10hp to cruise at 60, that's 7.5kw. That's assuming we're only talking about cruising, with a slingshot at every red light to accelerate us for free; if that was the case I'd be getting way better FE already.

I digress. It's still more than you can get in 10 minutes from household power. We don't gas our existing cars at home so if we assume we'll be stopping at a power station to fill up it could be possible I guess, but it doesn't sound realistic or feasible IMO.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

Wait, I've found another problem with your 10-minute charge idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
0-60 in 2.5 seconds and a top speed of 208mph.

[...]let your car charge back up fully while you get a snack and pee.
...your stomach won't be in a condition to eat and you've already peed by then. In your pants. I guess you can spend the 10 minutes trying to clean them, though.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

I was saying 5KW to cruise, 16.6 was the Kilowatt hours it used over 200 miles. Was figuring it would be low Cd, low RR and take only 7hp, about half what is typical. Now if they can make a vehicle that cruises on 250W... then I'll start believing 10 minute charge times are possible.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

D'oh! I've been failing to pay attention to a lot of stuff like that lately.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Registered Member

We'll see what actually comes out. They are supposed to release the pre-production models next quarter.