brainstorming an electric vehicle - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
*shrug*

I thought the EV was for jenny and not you? Boo.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Wink Outta the way! I'm doing 5mph here!

I'd drive my old EV to school, but it would take me about an hour to get there and it might get stolen in the parking lot :
Attachment 123
If making EVs for 4-year-olds was possible in the late 80s, making an EV for grown people in the 2000s shouldn't be a far stretch!
Attached Images

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:19 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster
-- and it might get stolen in the parking lot !
Or someone could walk into it and get a nasty scrape on their shin.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:22 AM   #14
QDM
Registered Member

A friend of mine converted a VW Rabbit pickup about 15 years ago. He used lead acid golf car batteries and had to put on heavier springs. The motor drove through the standard transmission. I drove it and it would easily do 65 mph but the range was only about 30 miles.

Q
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 AM   #15
Registered Member

If the regular commute is 3 miles, and the roads are safe for cycling, what about looking at buying/converting a bicycle to electric? It'd only be good for part of the year, but it'd be a lot more efficient and way cheaper.

(EDIT: plus you don't have the hassle/expense of inspections, insurance, parking, licence plates etc.)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:52 AM   #16
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster
I'd drive my old EV to school, but it would take me about an hour to get there and it might get stolen in the parking lot :
Attachment 123
If making EVs for 4-year-olds was possible in the late 80s, making an EV for grown people in the 2000s shouldn't be a far stretch!

I wonder if they make those in Metro or Saturn version.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

The only problem with gen sets as range extenders is emissions. I'm guessing the low end ones aren't very good in that regard, and aren't emissions one of the reasons for going electric?

EDIT: I don't know about bioidiesel emissions. Just talking about gas here.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 AM   #18
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
If the regular commute is 3 miles, and the roads are safe for cycling, what about looking at buying/converting a bicycle to electric? It'd only be good for part of the year, but it'd be a lot more efficient and way cheaper.

(EDIT: plus you don't have the hassle/expense of inspections, insurance, parking, licence plates etc.)
She actually rides her bike in the spring/summer/part of the fall. She's opposed to getting an electric bike though... something about it being too "dorky."

Maybe I should just convert my spare mountain bike to electric for runs to the grocery store.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
If you want to do that kind of range on a budget, you're going to need a small, efficient car to keep battery cost per mile of range down. The batteries will be your largest budget component.

You're definately going to need a lightweight car, with lots of efficiency modifications. A heavy, unaerodynamic pickup truck will drive the battery costs for 60 miles range over your budget.

Try to throw out a few specific vehicles, and I might be able to recommend some setups to you. You will definately be doing a lot of scrounging for used surplus starter-generators and you will need to learn how to build your own contactor controller. It's pretty simple to make a battery charger with a bridge rectifier circuit as well.

One of your N600s looks like a great choice of donor, but you might have to remove the back seats to get enough battery room. And its aerodynamics aren't very good; you'll need aeromods. Even at a modest 30 mph, they will make a pretty noticable difference in range. LRR tires can extend range greatly as well.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
*shrug*

Use the crXXX!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote