Breaking news! Chevy volt technically driven by gas engine! - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #31
Lean Burn Mode

Re: Breaking news! Chevy volt technically driven by gas engine!

I have jump the gun and made accusations based on the information that is available at this time. I will retract my last post and let GM disappoint me in the way they intended... a few months later from now.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #32
Registered Member

I don't see what all the fuss is about...everybody's descriptions of the "defects" in the Volt sound pretty much like what I heard about before its introduction described as its "features". Why were they so wonderful then and horrible now? Still seems like it'll run rings around the average car...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #33

The 127mpg in real world driving sounds pretty good to me. I wish my car did that.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #34
Lean Burn Mode

The friend that will have his Volt sometime in December was told from GM that he would see anywhere from 30mpg to 45mpg in charge-sustaining mode.

It sounds like this is why its so hard for GM to give a straight answer. I think the mileage will be all over the place because of the charge-sustaining mode.

But this is just speculation on my part and I truly hope that the Volt will deliver great numbers. No matter what, its a step in the right direction for a major car manufacturer.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
The friend that will have his Volt sometime in December was told from GM that he would see anywhere from 30mpg to 45mpg in charge-sustaining mode.

It sounds like this is why its so hard for GM to give a straight answer. I think the mileage will be all over the place because of the charge-sustaining mode.

But this is just speculation on my part and I truly hope that the Volt will deliver great numbers. No matter what, its a step in the right direction for a major car manufacturer.
I don't think that's speculation, I think those were actual numbers from GM as I've been reading the same stuff as well. Feels like the engine and all that was a second thought in the Volt even though it plays a pretty big role in the emissions equation especially if you plan on going on any long trips. The vehicle is a joke, just wait for the plug-in Prius and everybody will be asking themselves "why the volt"? Reminds me of when the 4 door Insight Debut just before the 2010 Prius came out.

How's this for an update:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/23...an-prius-or-j/
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

I know this is just my personal opinion, but my answer to "Why the Volt?" is that IMHO, the Prius is one of the ugliest cars that has hit the streets in a long time. I would sooner drive a Pontiac Aztec, or an AMC Pacer.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I agree, CARB is run by a bunch of morons. How can they say that when the Volt gets 127mpg in 300 miles of real world driving? They really need to get their heads out of their collective ***.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/127-mpg-...told-2724.html
Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #38
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I don't think that's speculation, I think those were actual numbers from GM as I've been reading the same stuff as well. Feels like the engine and all that was a second thought in the Volt even though it plays a pretty big role in the emissions equation especially if you plan on going on any long trips. The vehicle is a joke, just wait for the plug-in Prius and everybody will be asking themselves "why the volt"? Reminds me of when the 4 door Insight Debut just before the 2010 Prius came out.

How's this for an update:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/23...an-prius-or-j/
"CO limits for SULEV status is 1.0 grams per mile, while ULEV is 2.1 g/mi. Volt produces 1.3 g/mi."

I wonder if this was in Extended One Motor Mode or Combine Driving Mode? Or a combination of the two?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #39
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
I agree, CARB is run by a bunch of morons. How can they say that when the Volt gets 127mpg in 300 miles of real world driving? They really need to get their heads out of their collective ***.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/127-mpg-...told-2724.html
Another good read.

http://gas2.org/2010/10/14/motor-tre...ot-quite-true/
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #40

From the above link:
Quote:
Turns out, they had got that 127 mpg figure over the course of three days, driving 214 miles in EV mode and just 84 miles in “charge sustaining” mode. To me, that is just not an accurate representation of real world mpg, because in reality the Volt got 36 mpg, not 127 mpg.
LOL ok, I guess this guy is entitled to this opinion, no matter how wrong it is. How is this not real world driving? Does he expect the owner of a volt to never charge the car? Please. He goes on to say.
Quote:
It represents what one might consider a “real world” commute.
No sh!t sherlock. That was the whole point of the original article.

I don't know what the whole uproar is about. Its a 3700lb car that gets 36mpg in the worst case scenario and well over 100mpg in the best. Show me another production car that can do better? You have the leaf and maybe the tesla. Thats it.